Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    How to see the effectiveness of advertising?
    I often wonder if the flyers I give out and place on cars (annoying I know) actually get me more customers. How would one go about seeing if they are really effective? I mean sure you can get some first-hand reviews from other business owners but finding out if it actually works for your business is different. I often just resort to asking new customers where they heard about us. Results show that word-of-mouth is what really gets my business around though. How about you guys?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    It is very important that the business owner knows the effectiveness of the various methods of marketing he uses in order to promote his business. The most common way of getting information about this is questioning the customers about the source of their information about the business. Another common method which is also used, include gauging the increase in the level of customers after the introduction of a new media of advertising.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    As you probably know, advertising involves a business owner to invest money, which applies to both online and offline businesses. As such, the process of measuring advertising effectiveness can be measured with a simple formula: Return on Investment.

Return on Investment (ROI) evaluates cost against return. Here is the formula:

ROI = (R – CI ) / CI X 100

R = Gross Margin (Sales Revenue-Cost of Good Sold)

CI = Cost of Investment

The result is a ratio; the higher the ratio, the better the return.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I have a great idea to see the effectiveness of advertising. If you are, let's say, a coffee shop, you hand out flyers. On the bottom of the flier, you can write in small letters, "Present this flier to our cafe and you can avail a 10% discount on our products".

This is just a suggestion I can give you. That way, you will see how much your fliers attracted them. I hope you try it out

It sure works well with my cafe.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    The other posters here are right. You can ask your customers from where they heard about your business or in the case of fliers, like angelicagapit said above, ask them to come in with said fliers if they want to redeem them or take advantage of the offer. Then you'll know. Another way to do this would be by customizing each piece of advertising. Use different phone numbers or e-mail addresses for each campaign. That way you can keep track of where clients come from.

Maybe these methods are not 100% accurate but still, it's better than blind advertising.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Remember that some sites always asked you where you heard about them? That would be one example for them to qualitatively measure the effectiveness of their advertising method. I believe you already got this part correctly; I also usually rely on this method since it is almost effortless. For a more exact quantitative result, the formula given by another posters could be one of the method to have numerical results on your advertisement effectiveness.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Offer a deal if they bring in the flyer with them. That is one way to find out if they work. Maybe put a coupon or first time offer on the flyer. Said, "Bring in this flyer for (fill in the blank)". It is hard to make sure that they work unless either asking your customers directly or having them bring proof of the flyer.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpefley View Post
    Offer a deal if they bring in the flyer with them. That is one way to find out if they work. Maybe put a coupon or first time offer on the flyer. Said, "Bring in this flyer for (fill in the blank)". It is hard to make sure that they work unless either asking your customers directly or having them bring proof of the flyer.
    Yeah, its probably a good idea that you try to extract information from your new customers. Your questions should be regarding the customers' source of information regarding the business. This will help you in recognizing the effectiveness of the various advertising methods you have employed currently.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Why not put a special or discount on the flyer for them to bring in then they have two reasons to let you know that it was from the flyer! I have to tell you though 99% of the time these go in the Quick Trip trash for me. I think even though we are in the information stage of life, paper is over used and somedays I think my body will be buried in them. Good luck!!

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    I wonder about this too sometimes, but I think if you want to know where your customers are coming from specifically without needing to question all of them, then you just have to place it into the mechanics such as having them mention or cut out something from the flyer and offer it to your business in exchange for a discount or a freebie. I think a lot of businesses do it this way so they can have physical evidence on how much they are acquiring new customers as a part of a new campaign and specifically which advertising tool in the campaign is working the best.

Share on facebook