Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Should you google someone you are considering to hire?
    Sometimes it really doesnt matter what people do in their personal time because they leave it at home. In some cases you get the people who bring it all to work with them. Should you always google someone and see if they have anything you would red flag before you hire or just give them a shot?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I always do. I don't think it is wrong. It's the best way to tell what kind of person someone is. People also look people up on Facebook just for fun and that's not different.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    It's actually one of the ways to determine if someone is qualified or suitable for the job. I mean, if you are looking for someone who is responsible, no-nonsense, can perform numerous tasks with great concentration, and is not someone who will be hurting the company, checking their background seems reasonable. You find nothing about him or her, great! That's actually means he or she is smart and cautious enough to not post anything that has to do with their privacy, and people like this don't usually leak info about what they do or what their company do. If you got someone who can't seem to stop talking about their work or lives on social sites, would you feel safe leaving important tasks to them?

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    How sure are you you'll find the person on Google. Take me as an example. My online identity is entirely different from my real identity in real life. If someone tries to search for my info orindiscretions on the net they'd never find any because I use different names. So, IMO, trying to use Google to find out everything about a potential employee may not provide the results you seek.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    These days most employers do so but like Rainman above said, it's not a method that gives consistent results. Personally, I don't think such searches reveal much about the skills of a potential employee. I prefer interviews and practical tests instead of quick online searches. Seeing some pictures with the candidate drinking in a bar helps my business how? I know quite a few people that drink a lot and party hard in the weekends but are top employees during the work week. And these people are the ones that don't get the job even if they'll make fantastic employees, just because someone decided they're not serious based on online searches.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    It is something that you may do if you want, but I would suggest not basing a person's character off something you read on the internet.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    I wouldn't google someone I'm considering to hire. It just doesn't sit well with me. For me, I draw a clear line between a person's personal life and work ethics. Furthermore, I don't think you would obtain much results from googling a person. Give it a try and you'll see what I mean.

All in all, asking the right interview questions should be more than enough for you to determine whether or not to hire that person.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I don't know if you should, but I definitely would. Like I have said in a few posts in this forum, as a business owner, you need to take advantage where you can get it as long as it's all within the legal boundaries. Since these tools are available to us now, I think it would be a shame not to use them. I'd do this especially if my company were one that's often seen by the public, and hiring someone who is of questionable status might prove to be detrimental.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    This topic reminded me of a friend who is a human resource staff in one of the biggest call center here in our country. She told me that they are actually looking into the applicant's Facebook page to see the "character" of the person and they once saw an applicant bad mouthing her former employer on social media and guess what - they immediately took her file off the pile they're considering to hire.

And to answer the question... Yes I would google an applicant and check his social media pages, because an applicant can "mask" his/her true character on his/her resume or during an interview but his/her true colors will definitely show in social media. Just my opinion though... =)

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    That is why we have a CV to make sure that the employee presents his or her work history. It is better to focus on the professional life than the personal life. If you start checking out their personal life, you might be disappointed and also employees will resist such a move.

Share on facebook