Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I see nothing wrong in trying to know the background of a person before starting a business relationship. In the public sector this is even mandatory. There is only so much you can learn about somebody during a 30 minutes - one hour interview. Also, a C.V. is just a piece of paper.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    My first thought was no. That would be an immoral invasion of privacy, but the more i think about it. I can't find a valid reason why an employer shouldn't search an employee on Google. Searching someone on Google isn't a credit check. It is just a general inquiry. That anyone with a phone, or computer can do. It is not a violation of privacy at all. It's actually very clever.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I do not see anything wrong with that. You can really find some good information through Google about your candidate. However, I would not rely on what I find out there heavily. First of all, not all of that may be correct. Second, you need to understand the context of the situation better before you give any judgment about a person based on what you see online.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I believe the result of googling someone should not be the only thing you do for background check. The results might be questionable as well; it is really hard to determine the quality of a candidate based on this online snooping. However, if numerous hits to bad reputations came up when I googled a candidate, it is safe to say that I will move on to another candidates. It works both ways, if there are publications or any other positive things associated with the candidate when I searched him/her via google, the person will have a bigger chance to receive the job offer.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I wouldn't, especially for making a hiring decision. Let's say you look at a Facebook profile. You've now seen the following protected information: religion, race, national origin, sex, marital status, possible medical issues, etc. If you decide not to hire someone, and they sue for discrimination, you've just made your defense case pretty tricky. Respect your employees' personal life from hire to retire. If interviews, references and background checks are good, what more are you looking for?

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I'm in the process of hiring 15 new people and I have noticed I do Google them. Just to get a basic idea of who I'm dealing with. It helps to get an idea of the person and his/her background.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    You absolutely should, but don't expect anything or make snap judgements. It's foolish to not access information about a person that has been made freely available by that person, and you can get a solid feel for that person based on what they're willing to put online. That, to some extent, is the real person, and not just the person you met in the interview.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Yes. An employer should definitely search potential employees on Google. I sure that they do criminal history checks, so why not do a Google search. It is perfectly legal. Maybe the employer discovers some valuable information that will help in he hiring decision. I don't know what sort of information you would find in a Google search, that isn't already in the employees criminal history report.

Share on facebook

It's just business.

9. Collapse Details
    I definitely think that you should google someone before hiring. The internet is an open book and you can find out a lot about a person though it. I personally know of some large companies that Google potential employees and check their Facebook profiles.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    I agree with Delusional. Looking up someone on Facebook is really no different than google-ing them, despite having different motives. Especially the sidebar at the right that displays what all your friends are doing, makes people on facebook stalkers... Anyway, yes, it shows who they really are, and I think personal matters could show their personality.

Share on facebook