Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Well, in todays world, you should go for the Googling and maybe have a look on the profile of the Candidate on Fb and Twitter too. Agreed that these are just not the perfect way to ascertain any individual, but still, you come to know a lot about the candidate. During my last Recruiting Post, I did a twitter check on a list of the final shortllisted 3 people and had to reject one just because the languages used on twitter were abusive and the job opening was for Customer Care and Support. So I would certainly vouch viewing the candidates Profiles on the Internet.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Exactly. The more i think about it the more i like the idea of searching a potential employee online. It is not an invasion of privacy because it is public information. People should definitely watch what they put online. It can really come back haunt you. Employers have every right to search employees online.

Share on facebook

It's just business.

3. Collapse Details
    I think it's okay to google someone you are about to hire because social media says a lot of their personal life. If a candidate is young, it's probably already expected you'll see a lot of partying and being everywhere. Will it make a difference if you see crazy posts? Since the resume and how they conduct themselves in the interview is the most important anyway.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I don't google somebody for the same reason that I don't want to be googled. We have all done something in the past that we might regret or something and I think that personal and business life should be separated. Plus I don't want to judge anyone unless they do something in the first place. As long as they bring their 'A' game to work, I honestly don't care how or what they do outside.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I wouldn't google a person that I'm thinking about hiring. I agree with the person who said that you wouldn't
    find everything you need to know about a person by google them nor will whatever you do find on a person
    it wouldn't tell you if they are a good employee or not. So no I wouldn't google a future employee.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Why would you not Google someone you were considering hiring? There is a treasure trove of information on an individual with a few keystrokes. Granted, I wouldn't necessarily base the decision on that, unless something spectacularly bad came up, but its still good to know.

Share on facebook

"The business of America is business."—Calvin Coolidge

7. Collapse Details
    The google offers a lot of information and nobody is preventing you to google someone you are considering to hire. Just be careful though as google can offer so many SEARCH HITS and you may end up looking at someone else's information and not the person you are supposed to google with. That's embarrassing.

Share on facebook

----
    I just started my own website and you can find it on http://www.ofwtips.com

8. Collapse Details
    I don't see anything wrong with it. But the thing is you're never sure if these people are the same online and offline. There are some people who pretend to be someone they're not online. People now though are smart and they know that the companies they applied to will most likely google them so they make their social networks private ans stuff like that. But it's actually fun searching someone online.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Nowadays it's hard to escape a bad reputation on the Internet. I'd probably Google someone, but as I said in another thread, I wouldn't check out their Facebook account. By doing a quick search on Google you can find out if they've done any scams, etc.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Hi.........
    My first thought was no. That would be an immoral invasion of privacy, but the more i think about it.

Share on facebook