Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    How many times do you give someone "another chance"?
    How would you handle a situation where the employee is excellent but cant seem to stay off their phone? Or an employee who is abusing the smoke breaks to sit outside for 20 mins and still take a lunch after. What about the people you have already warned and they just dont seem to get it and are still late by 6-7 mins daily?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I would definitely deal with it promptly, because it sounds like those employees are taking advantage of your generosity. I would tell them the consequences for their actions and if they don't abide by the rules, then let them go. There are good people out there that need jobs and will be more respectful with your time.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I would give someone only one second chance. If they blow it after that, I would be hard on the problem and just fire the person.
    Especially when they do the same thing twice.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I guess it depends. If they're good for the most part but have a few quirks, I would try cutting their hours or something like that. Enough to prove a point without firing them. If they're overall a jerk-off employee, though, it's probably best to let them go.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    If it's an issue of arriving late just make it mandatory that any employee who arrives late or takes time off will have to compensate for that at the end of the day. That would effectively deal with late-comers and 'time-thieves.'

For the rest, you'll need to call for a meeting of all employees and spell out the regulations which should be observed by all employees and the consequences of disobedience. If the employee still persists in their 'bad habit' after this then you have every right to fire them.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Depends on what job that employee performs and how good he does it. Personally I have no issues with people talking on the phone or using Facebook as long as the job is done properly and business is not affected. If they are excellent and have above average results I don't see the point of enforcing the rules to the letter. Sure, there are some issues with the other employees that want the same perks.

Now, if the employee has a less than desirable performance such excesses (like longer breaks) are gonna be punished and the rules enforced by either cutting the breaks or other benefits.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Tell him next time is the last, if he does it again, look at him i nthe eye seriously and tell him I am serious about it, last time...

Next time ,fire him.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    You need to make sure your employees are always aware that you aren't some metaphorical door mat. Even employees who do an outstanding job cannot be given leeway on certain policies just for the simple fact that other employees will see this and assume that they too are able to walk across the mat. Be polite, but be firm. I typically would never allow for more than 2-3 of these instances depending on their efficiency.

Share on facebook

Try Amazon Prime for 30-days for FREE! Just click on the text that says Amazon Prime!. It's like Netflix with a MUCH larger selection, you WON'T regret it!

9. Collapse Details
    Where to draw the line depends a lot on the nature of the infraction and the nature of the job being done. If my job is to deal with customers walking in the front door and there is no one to deal with, then being on Facebook is probably not a big deal. If I am supposed to be typing up documents and I am on Facebook instead, that is a big deal.
    I would suggest you set a policy, let your employees know the policy, and follow through with the consequences. I would not put a lot of weight on the employee's performance as it can create a situation where two people commit the same infraction, but one gets worse treatment.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Well it depends on the input of the employee. if they are of course you will be hesitant to fire them but as soon as you find their their replacements then show them the door. 5 warnings are enough.

Share on facebook