Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Collapse Details
    Relationship with co-worker?
    How would you handle a situation where you are going on dates with someone that works for your company? Always sure though to keep it completly professional at the work place, no one would even know. How do you go about taking it to the next level? Having them leave the company? It would be weird for my employees to see something like that, he has been working with me for years and I just dont know how some would handle it.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    The reason why most companies avoid hiring couples and don't encourage employees dating is because when something happens with that couple the tension of the troubled relationship affects the workplace. Do you want two employees avoiding each other, spreading rumors and distracting the other employees? I didn't think so! Plus, if one of the couple gets fired, how would the other react, would he also leave? There are so many variables and things waiting to happen when couples are involved that I really understand why in some places couples are not allowed.

It is also legal for companies to enforce rules that prohibit couples at the same workplace for the reasons listed above.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    It is always a bad idea to date someone in the office. It almost never works out. Even thought you might have the intention of keeping things professional, it almost never happens that way. If you're a couple you're going to fight. It is inevitable. This is going to bleed into the workplace, and everyone suffers for it. Just avoid it at all costs.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    It's quite unprofessional if you're their superior. It'll create the sense of bias towards this person among the rest of your employees. It seems like a surefire way to create headaches for you and your company.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Its pretty unprofessional and bad for the workplace especially if you are the owner. Avoid it if you can!

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I agree with the general sentiments of the others who chimed in on this thread; avoid it at all costs! It will make for a rocky workday if things don't work out. If things do work out, it could still be awkward and you could even get in trouble. For most places, I'd say this is a no-no.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by earthmama1 View Post
    How would you handle a situation where you are going on dates with someone that works for your company? Always sure though to keep it completly professional at the work place, no one would even know. How do you go about taking it to the next level? Having them leave the company? It would be weird for my employees to see something like that, he has been working with me for years and I just dont know how some would handle it.
    I think there is nothing wrong in having a relationship with a co-worker, as long as you are acting professional at the workplace or you are able to separate personal from professional life. However, it is crucial to check first if this is actually allowed in the company. If it's not allowed, then you have to respect that and make adjustments based on that. It may be necessary that one of you may need to move out of the company.

Overall, however, not too many companies actually prohibit this.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Always sure though to keep it completely professional at the work place, no one would even know.
    This isn't true, people will know. From what I gather, you own the company. In this dynamic, I would say avoid a workplace romance at all cost with one of your employees. He's "sleeping with the boss" is one of the most toxic things that can enter the workplace. There is nothing you can do to regain a feeling of equity amongst your employees. Everyone will view you as having a favorable bias towards your significant other, even if no bias exists.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Yes, it's a weird situation. I would not encourage it...definitely not!. However, love finds us anywhere we are. People will eventually get used to seeing the sight of you and your employee. Of course, he would no longer be your employee, right? He will be a fellow co-owner? Employee affairs can cause distractions though and personal conflicts can lead to work conflicts. You just make a wise decision based on your particular situation. Ok?

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    It's really discouraged for employees and co-workers to have a relationship because the result is being productive elsewhere and being unproductive at work. That's the reason why most companies discourage these kinds of relationships.

Share on facebook