1. Collapse Details
    Single member LLC in Illinois and electing S corp tax for federal tax
    I just created my single member LLC (SMLLC) in Illinois. I read many articles about the pros and cons of electing the S corporation status for tax purposes.
    I am a software consultant and I do not write code, I only provide guidance and advise. My current contract may last anywhere from 6 months to a year. I travel a lot for my consulting job and am planning to buy a car for my LLC as soon as I earn enough cash from my clients.
    My expected total gross income from July of 2017 till the end of December this year is $120K.
    I expect to spend $59k in extensive travel, business equipment and other business related expenses.
    So, about $61k of net income which I need to divide into salary and dividend if I elect the S corp option for federal tax purposes.
    Next year, if all goes well, I am expecting a total gross income of $220K.
    My questions are:
    1. Based on the above mentioned gross and net income, am I going to save more on federal taxes by taking the S corporation election?
    2. IL has no corporate tax for sole-proprietors. A single member LLC (SMLLC) is treated like a sole-proprietor for state tax purposes. Isn't it better to stay at my default "disregarded entity" status in IL and get treated like a sole-proprietor instead of electing the S corp status for federal tax purposes, or is it possible to file my state taxes as a sole-proprietor regardless of my S corp election at the federal level?
    3. If I go with the S corp election and file form 2553 with the feds, how does it affect my "withholding" tax payments and estimated tax payments for federal and state taxes?
    4. If I elect the S Corp election, I know I have to give myself a salary. Can I wait till December to write myself a check for the salary - that way I don't have to file for "withholding" tax payments and estimated tax payments on a monthly or quarterly basis?
    5. Is it a good idea to buy a car using the profits from my SMLLC?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    The unique feature of LLP is that one partner is not liable for the negligence or misconduct of another partner and it has a combination of advantages of a Private Limited Company and Partnership Firm. Limited Liability Partnership is considered as separate legal entity and partners are liable only to the extent of their capital contribution.

Share on facebook