Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Calming your employees down when business is not doing well?
    Let's say that my local business is not doing well, I might have to lay off a few employees or close down my business to prevent further losses. In what manners or ways that I can tell them the news, without causing an uproar or panic for everyone? Should I at least give them more compensation or recommendation to other companies to make those that I am laying off feel better?

Share just about everything on your mind everyone!

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Compensation is a mistake, as it'll only lead to a quicker demise for your company. Honesty is key here, and if you can let some employees go, this is one of the nicest ways you'll have to fire someone (it's not you, it's me---but they'll believe it) and if you can be honest to your remaining employees about what the future holds---are you REALLY going out of business, or just falling on tough times? Tell them the truth, and give great recommendations to send them on their way.

If you stay calm, they will stay calm. If you tell them everything they need to know, and answer every question, they'll support you. If they know you'll help them transition into a different job, some of them will stick with you until the end. Good Luck!

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    The above poster pretty much covered it pretty well. Giving them letters of recommendation and staying in contact with them is certainly the best way.Above all, stay calm and most should follow suit.

Share on facebook

Try Amazon Prime for 30-days for FREE! Just click on the text that says Amazon Prime!. It's like Netflix with a MUCH larger selection, you WON'T regret it!

4. Collapse Details
    Be honest and tell your employees the truth. You owe it to them because they could potentially lose a family supporting job and should begin searching for other employment.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I think the best way is to just be straight with them. If you speak of the demise in a calm manner, then you'd have a higher chance of it being received in a calm manner as well. Also, it might help to show that you will try to give them whatever support you can give past the company's closing, but only what is fair to you and your company as well since you will probably also be packed with stress and worry about the failure of your venture. I think employees will understand it if you explain things well enough, and I think that is the key to these types of situations.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Compensation can pull in into debt even further. Some employees will understand. Some others will be angry and don't understand.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    When the business is down, I cannot thing of more compensations - and I think no one can. I always have been friendly with my team and as such, I hae always been open. When I was working as a Team Lead, I would always try to get the best for the team and we were more friendly - with many discussions concerning almost everything professional and some times personal too.

So, if I had owned the business which was not going good, I would call up the team leads (if I lead the team, better for me) and share the sad news with them. And then ask them to tell them to their team members. After all, managers dont do things on their own, they get things done.

In your scenario, I would call up a small get together (some may call it a meeting, but I will keep it as a get together) and then share the sad news. Then ask the employees to suggest ways to overcome. Or if the oercoming is not possible sooner, I would ask them to take their own decision and I will not have any personal issues with their decisions.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    B honest and direct! You will just make it worse by beating around the bush in my opinion. Its hard to receive things like that but its easier for them if you tell them and they know what to expect.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    When I worked for a large corporation we laid off hundreds of people. Our Director kept open lines of communication with the entire team. He held department meetings, manager meetings and required his managers to meet with their people. When it came time to lay off specific people he did all of them personally, he did it rhythmically and sympathetically. Trust your leadership skills to do the right thing. Your employees are not bridges you want to burn!

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CSomm View Post
    Compensation is a mistake, as it'll only lead to a quicker demise for your company. Honesty is key here, and if you can let some employees go, this is one of the nicest ways you'll have to fire someone (it's not you, it's me---but they'll believe it) and if you can be honest to your remaining employees about what the future holds---are you REALLY going out of business, or just falling on tough times? Tell them the truth, and give great recommendations to send them on their way.

If you stay calm, they will stay calm. If you tell them everything they need to know, and answer every question, they'll support you. If they know you'll help them transition into a different job, some of them will stick with you until the end. Good Luck!
    This is all true. The only thing I'll add - advanced notice of layoffs, if delivered correctly, will help. If you know you'll need to lay someone off at the end of the quarter now, consider telling them now. If delivered correctly, you can gain a lot of respect from your soon-to-be laid-off team members. Keep in mind, there's a PR element to consider with lay-offs. You don't want these employees to be bitter towards your business and ruin your reputation after they leave. The more empathetic and open you are, the more you'll gain respect.

Share on facebook