Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    It isn't required legally, but I would actually say that it is recommended ethically. If you formed a strong bond with your clients and you do business with them often, or you know they would come back to you for a certain service, I should definitely say that you should notify them. What's wrong with doing that simple task of letting them know that your business isn't up and running anymore, right? It's always best to stay true to your ex-clients and maybe you could even let them know the reason why you closed down. It is ethical to be honest with these clients and not hold back any information from them.

That's just my opinion. Good luck!

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    If closure of your business will inconvenience your clients then much as you have no obligation to notify them that you'll be closing your business, it's ethical to let them know about that. It won't cost you anything. Just do it and get it done with. That way there's a possibility that if you get back in business, your former clients may want to do business with you.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Assuming you are in the United States and aren't in certain lines of business (e.g., depository institutions, etc.), there shouldn't be any legal or regulatory requirement to notify your clients. However, doing so is the right thing to do, particularly if their businesses are dependent upon yours. Also, you never know what interaction you might have with former clients years down the road, so its always best to end on a good note. So, I would send out a mailing (electronic or snail) alerting them to the closure and, if necessary, where they may obtain a similar product or service.

Share on facebook

"The business of America is business."—Calvin Coolidge

4. Collapse Details
    I have never heard about such a law. But if it exists, make sure you can terminate all the currently signed contracts just to be on the safe side. Some people are not that forgiving when you breach contracts. That is where the lawsuits might come in.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    In my personal opinion, if you are trading, selling merchandise, etc - you dont need to notify your client except if you are a service provider i.e contractor to a project, etc. You have to check the terms of your own contract and properly terminate it to avoid legal implications.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    As long as the customers don't have any outstanding balances or things like that you should be fine. A simple email letting your customers know would be an easy fix though, that is if you have an email list.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    If closure of your business will inconvenience your clients then much as you have no obligation to notify them that you'll be closing your business, it's ethical to let them know about that. It won't cost you anything. Just do it and get it done with. That way there's a possibility that if you get back in business, your former clients may want to do business with you.
    I agree with Rainman that it's ethical to do so. This will give you a good reputation that you really care about your clients until the end/closing of your business and should you start another business in the future, these clients will not think twice of doing business with you again.

It would also be nice if you could recommend another business establishment (if applicable) that can continue giving service/products to your existing clients. We did this two weeks before we close our small water refilling station business, we recommend another water station nearby and our clients were very grateful for our efforts. After more than five years after we discontinued our business, our clients remained our friends until now.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Depends on the law on your locality if it is clearly stated then by all means follow the rules. Make sure you have insurance though.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    I do not think you must legally notify your clients. I think ethically, I would. I know I like to know if a business I use regularly is going out of business. It helps me to prepare if I count on them for a service I need.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    I don't think you are required by law however are you able to just end your contracts? I assume that not all are over yet?.

As Eppie said could you recommend someone that your clients can use? you might also be able to get a little money for the clients that switch to them.

Share on facebook

The Technology Centre - IT Support Norfolk