Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What business could go well next to a hair salon?
    Hi,

My mother has a hair salon that is located on a main road so there is a lot of traffic. Next to the salon is a vacant space for lease and she is planning to get it but she doesn't have an idea what is good to set up there. Any suggestions? She isn't sure if she wants to do food or just a normal retail store. Hoping for more ideas Thanks!

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I'm more in favor of the food idea than the retail store, to be honest. I think food might get a wider audience and it would be great to have a cafe or a boutique store that sells unique / imported sweets and desserts for people to lounge in as they wait for their turn in the salon. Also, sometimes the salon customer might bring someone along and that person might just be tagging along and will probably have nothing to do other than play on their smartphone, so at least this way he or she could just drop by next door and either hang out there or buy a cup of coffee or iced coffee drink to sip on as he or she waits. That's just my opinion on it, though, as it still probably depends a lot on the location and the type of traffic.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I think it totally depends on the demographic of the customers going to the hair salon, and other establishments in the area. For example, some areas of my city cater to mostly seniors, so a business, such as a nice cafe, would probably work well. Another area of the city caters to young families, so perhaps something more child-oriented would be appropriate next to the salon. Perhaps talking to some other business owners in the area might be beneficial? It would be a great networking opportunity, and foster excellent business community relations.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Maybe some related business which is similar to a hair salon like maybe a fashion store or those that sell clothes which are designed for those who love the glamorous life. It would be easier too since you can brand the store with the same name as the salon.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I think the obvious one would be a nail salon, unless the hair salon offers those services. Also, a tanning salon would be a great store to have next to a hair salon. Anything that has to do with pampering, maybe even a boutique.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I think a Nail salon would be the best business that you can put beside a Hair salon, because women generally get their hair, and nails done at the same time. A nail salon would be best because women could walk out of the hair salon, and walk into into the nail salon. It would be easy business.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    What other businesses are in the area? Is there a lacking of food places? Perhaps a coffee place of sorts?

A sort of "beauty" store might be a good idea as well as people could kill 2 birds with one stone. But I would look more into what other sort of businesses are in the area and what might fill a need for the area you are looking to move into.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    First think about who you market is for your hair salon. Girls. Now think of a business that can cater to that certain market. It could be a fashion boutique, a cute store that sells nice women's shoes and heels, or as others had already mentioned, a nice old-fashioned nail salon.

All these businesses indirectly compliment the hair salon. Maybe you could think out of the box and merge your hair salon and nail salon in one commercial space instead of taking up two. Do everything you can to utilize your space, money, time and effort.

Good luck!

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by angelicagapit View Post
    First think about who you market is for your hair salon. Girls. Now think of a business that can cater to that certain market. It could be a fashion boutique, a cute store that sells nice women's shoes and heels, or as others had already mentioned, a nice old-fashioned nail salon.

All these businesses indirectly compliment the hair salon. Maybe you could think out of the box and merge your hair salon and nail salon in one commercial space instead of taking up two. Do everything you can to utilize your space, money, time and effort.

Good luck!
    I agree with this. It's better if you have a target audience in mind and try to have products or services that pander to their needs. So they got out from a salon, already feeling pretty. Perhaps they will be attracted by something else that make them even "prettier"? Clothing? Make-ups? Shoes? Head accessories? Perhaps you could run a secret survey in your mother's salon to find out what the customers like more. Just try to start with a casual conversation like "How would you feel if there's this and that next door?" and try to gather their opinions.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    It really depends on the area and the people living there. I would never start a XYZ business here just because there is a hair dresser next to it.
    However when you asked food or retail, I immediately thought retail. Like others have said, especially if you are mostly dealing with female customers, quite a few of them might want to shop for some accessories afterwards. Shoes, handbags, blaablaablaa.

It might work. But like I said, I'd rather base the idea on the general people in the area, not just those visiting the hair salon.

Share on facebook