Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonghost747 View Post
    Same amount of cash required as for regular trading. And you can always use products which are more leveraged if the commissions are too high, though this of course increases the risk, and a stop loss should be used especially when shorting.

I too prefer investing in the long term, it's all about the risk. While trading can yield great profits in short time, you need both skills and luck if you want to make a profit in the long term.
    Shorting has its place and can bring you alot of profit. I think its only for the very experienced though!

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Shorting stock is considered illegal in a lot of institutions. I don't do it. I also don't even know how I would pull it off. I know what it is and how it works but doing it is something else.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I didnt know shorting is illegal in some institutions. Which institutions are those ?

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I've also heard of it being illegal in some places, simply because by shorting the stock you will pull down the price and thus, when in large enough quantities, you can cause some sort of a panic. You know the drill, you sell enough to make the stock go -2% and some people will have their stop loss activated, others will sell because they think it's going to go lower etc.

Then again, the same exact thing happens if you buy with a lot of money.. so I don't really see what the problem is.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I've always been interested in day trading, but have not yet gotten up the guts to do it. This sounds a bit complicated for a newbie like me. My initial strategy was to simply learn how to read stock trends in order to learn how to pick a stock that looks like it's on the rise. Buy some shares there and sell as they hit their peak. Of course this is all about timing and you have to make sure that you cover your initial investment plus your trade commission you have to pay, but I think that this might be the safest bet. Shorting stocks sounds a bit more aggressive than I am ready for just yet, but it does sound interesting.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by novasparker View Post
    I've always been interested in day trading, but have not yet gotten up the guts to do it. This sounds a bit complicated for a newbie like me. My initial strategy was to simply learn how to read stock trends in order to learn how to pick a stock that looks like it's on the rise. Buy some shares there and sell as they hit their peak. Of course this is all about timing and you have to make sure that you cover your initial investment plus your trade commission you have to pay, but I think that this might be the safest bet. Shorting stocks sounds a bit more aggressive than I am ready for just yet, but it does sound interesting.
    Well, it's not really any more aggressive than regular trading. You're doing the same thing with the same stakes, just looking for the stock to go in a different direction.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    It's an expensive habit to bet against the end of the world...

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Personally I do not have a ton of experience trading but do have some. Issue with shorting stocks is that you have the potential to lose a lot more than you do when buying. Because when buying it can't go below zero, but when shorting the company can grow to more than double than the original, so you can lose more than your original investment. Personally I'd prefer a put (option of a short) over actually shorting, and do it for the short term, about some bad press release or something. That was the only time I experienced benefit from rooting against them. But like I said some people on here have much more experience at it than I.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    indeed its a resource for marketing and improving our skills
    dolly fsession

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    I never sell any stocks but my father always do like this, he always short stocks and he also get profit by selling the stocks. But I know very little concept of borrowing the concept like to sell it and buy it back and give it back the broker easily understand this concept. So when you buy and sell when the dividend is paid an individual have sold the stocks and the company pays to the purchaser of the stock.

Share on facebook