1. Collapse Details
    Trademark Question
    Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and I hope you don't mind if I jump in with a question...

I am looking to start a business and my ideal business name is available via state, domain, social media handles and everything. The only thing that I am a little worried about is that a similar name is trademarked since the first few letters of my ideal name is (kind of) common.

For example, if I wanted my business name to be LOLIMCO (Laugh out Loud in my cute outfit) but the word LOL (Laugh out Loud) is trademarked. Both companies have LOL and both are humor based companies. However, LOLIMCO would have very different revenue streams and business models and operate on different coasts.

Is LOLIMCO completely off limits because LOL is trademarked?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Hi KT23

The key to trademark infringement is "likelihood of confusion". Is your business name is confusingly similar to "LOL - Laugh out Loud" (including nature of business, type of product and service)? I don't think so. So my best guess is that you're not violating any trademark law. BUT it's just my opinion based on what I've read regarding trademark laws in US.

I think it would help ease your mind if you read this article too about trademark infringement >> http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/trademark_infringement.

Good luck!

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by eppie View Post
    Hi KT23

The key to trademark infringement is "likelihood of confusion". Is your business name is confusingly similar to "LOL - Laugh out Loud" (including nature of business, type of product and service)? I don't think so. So my best guess is that you're not violating any trademark law. BUT it's just my opinion based on what I've read regarding trademark laws in US.

I think it would help ease your mind if you read this article too about trademark infringement >> http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/trademark_infringement.

Good luck!
    I agree but if the company LOL is near you and if they find it that your company name is a nuisance and is causing confusion they can sue you. So it's safer to go with LLIMCO or something close but not to close with other companies which are popular.

Share on facebook