Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Teach myself to create my website or hire a web developer?
    Hi everyone

I'm trying to start an online business. I already have my domain but when it comes to creating the website, I have no experience in this area. I have tried using some websites that have templates already created but the end product doesn't look professional. I have also considered hiring a web developer but how do I protect my business idea from someone stealing it? What would be a reasonable amount of money to pay for a web developer?

I would love to hear of other peoples' experiences. Can anyone recommend any good webs for learning or for searching for web developers.

Thanks!

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I'm a computer engineer, I made a couple sites for my various business attempts. Learning it likely will not be economical... unless you know other things like data structures, physics, math, electronics... you need to be pretty technical to even attempt anything else as technical as this. The tools and frameworks online allow for faster easier development, but only if you are okay with how they do things... as soon as you want to change a default variable of any sorts that they haven't provided a direct interface to, the task becomes harder than if you started with a blank canvas... Thus, my advice is this... if this is a 100k a year business of less, hire someone for $5k max to build you one... do a solid layout in visio or something and develop the content for them before finding them... you can use Wix or something yourself, but you should only be developing content (text, pics, movies) and not much layout or code or you'll get bogged down. If it's a million dollar a year business... hire a computer engineer managing 2-3 web developers.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    hi,

unless you want to create website with some intelligence of your own innovation you should not try learning coding for website. it is easier if you just buy or use website templates, wordpress or other cms. Don't spend much time in trying to make up the website such as color, columns, headers, footers, logo etc. Better try innovative marketing and innovative products.

finding website templates, wordpress templates etc and uploading to hosting is simple and once you know that you are ready to go.

for help you can pm me also

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    hi,

unless you want to create website with some intelligence of your own innovation you should not try learning coding for website. it is easier if you just buy or use website templates, wordpress or other cms. Don't spend much time in trying to make up the website such as color, columns, headers, footers, logo etc. Better try innovative marketing and innovative products.

finding website templates, wordpress templates etc and uploading to hosting is simple and once you know that you are ready to go.

for help you can pm me also

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    There are so many templates you can get, for free, or for a modest fee.

You can always use wordpress (many web hosting companies include WP as an option). You can get a decent web site up and running, using just wordpress.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy1710 View Post
    Hi everyone
    I'm trying to start an online business. I already have my domain but when it comes to creating the website, I have no experience in this area. I have tried using some websites that have templates already created but the end product doesn't look professional. I have also considered hiring a web developer but how do I protect my business idea from someone stealing it? What would be a reasonable amount of money to pay for a web developer?
    I would love to hear of other peoples' experiences. Can anyone recommend any good webs for learning or for searching for web developers.
    Thanks!
    Protect business idea?
    Do you mean your product itself? Or the web design?

If it is product, then apply patent or copyright. While copyright for web design. You might have heard that whenever you post something (eg: a blog) on the website, it is automatically protected by copyright. However, you need to patent or copyright it if you seriously want to secure your business idea.

Web design or development
    I would say you shouldn't design/code it yourself. However, learn the basic such as HTML and CSS will help you to maintain your website.
    I am not sure what you want to do with your website and how complex it will be. Do you need someone to design your website (eg: blog) or develop complex features/functions (eg: e-commerce store, AI website)?

I believe you can get somone to design it at about $100 (not a complex one). There are many ready-made web templates available at the price about $50, make sure you buy their support service too, since you are new to this field.

Alternatively, there are many open source CMS (like Drupal, Joomla...etc) are available, together with modules/plugins for free.

Share on facebook

Tuah Bao (Accountant & Marketing Consultant)
    Is something bothering you? Click Here, to tell me about your concern and receive free advice. (https://peopleaffiliate.com)
    Free web hosting for life (www.peoplewebhost.com)

7. Collapse Details
    I suggest using Wordpress and getting familiar with it, there are many free comprehensive resources to learn Wordpress online. On the other hand, for quick results and a professional website appearance, it is best to hire an experienced developer.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Depends on your budget and as has been mentioned you can get a decent website up an running cheaply with WordPress. To get the website effectively search optimised you may want to get a professional to help you

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Or you can hire a developer on a full-time basis and run a business with him. I'm looking for some such options. And I know how to design complex sites.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Hire a web developer because you can't code properly, its nearly impossible. I coded for 5 months but still didn't fully understand how to program and problem solve.

Share on facebook