Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Protecting myself when working with kids.
    I work with students who are too young to enter into a contract. I deal with their parents when it comes to payments. I have a short document outlining cancellation policies etc which I have parents sign. I haven't run into any specific issues yet (I have been doing this for a number of years). I have been wondering if I should put together a more formal contract to ensure I don't run into problems in the future. In addition, is there anything that I should have in it that might not have come up and might not have occurred to me?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I would definitely talk to a professional who specializes in this kind of thing. You have to make sure to protect yourself. There are a lot of laws in place about such things, and just because you haven't been caught or gotten in trouble yet doesn't mean that it can't happen, ya know? It's better to be safe than sorry.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I don't think you can impose contracts on minors since they are free from liability at least that is the law in our country. I don't know what law covers your country but usually minors are free from liability until they reach the age of majority.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Since you entered in contract with the parents I'd say you're safe from any issues as long as you follow the terms. They signed the thing and agreed to the terms after all. To be extra safe, as LindaKay mentioned above, you should seek professional advice since laws, especially the ones regarding children, vary greatly from country to country.

Can't you consult a lawyer? The fees for an hour or so shouldn't be that high and some may even offer advice free of charge.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Typically, as long as the minor's parents expressed consent to the clauses in the contract and signed it, you should be alright. However, this could vary between countries or even states. I recommend you to get in touch with your lawyer to discuss this matter. The last thing you want would be to get sued by the parents in case something bad happens in the future.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by autograph View Post
    Typically, as long as the minor's parents expressed consent to the clauses in the contract and signed it, you should be alright. However, this could vary between countries or even states. I recommend you to get in touch with your lawyer to discuss this matter. The last thing you want would be to get sued by the parents in case something bad happens in the future.
    Yeah, it definitely varies. What country are you from? Many countries have child labor laws that you really need to be careful with (especially in the US). Just because their parents agree, doesn't mean the government necessarily permits it, so I would highly recommend having someone look into it. Make it someone you trust, too, in case you ARE doing something wrong and you need to reconsider whether you're going to keep doing it.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    I would suggest that you focus on the parents and that you make sure that they sign an agreement. You will need to do some research with regards to any legal requirements that might pertain to you. There are standard legal documents that you can download from the web. Also have a look at insurance, you might need to have public liability insurance.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    All of this depends on the country which you are operating in. Honestly, if I would be you, I'd hire a lawyer to make a proper legal contract for the parents to sign. It will be a one time fee for you to pay but will provide you with peace of mind and protection for as long as you keep doing this business. A small price to pay I'd say.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Definitely look further into this. When it comes to working with kids, contracts and dealing with parents, things can go crazy pretty quickly.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    I would also agree that protecting yourself is vital ValleyGuy. I work as a teacher. I know my employer recommends we take out legal insurance to protect against kids' parents taking any legal actions against. You just never know what a kid will say.

Share on facebook