Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Where shall I start with my new business idea?
    Hi, I am interested to start a small business using my writing and language skills. I am fluent in three languages. I grew up bilingual and have acquired a third language over the years, so I have plenty of experience. But I don't have any diplomas. But I figure if I provide samples of what I can do, it might be more useful than some certificates. At least I hope so.
    I was thinking about offering my services as a review writer and assistant to people who need help translating things on their websites. From what I read, there is a quite a demand for it, and people are willing to pay well for the right kind of help.
    So far I have only been selling my artwork through my website. But I don't really consider that as a “business”. It's something I love doing, and it isn't exactly a high earner.
    I am keen to utilize the skills I have to get something permanent going. What do you think about this idea? How would I go about it? Where would I start?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I think it's a good idea. I'd suggest creating a website or a blog with a .com url. Make business cards, go out and network. I've heard that places like Odesk and Freelancer pay good for translations. Check job postings, check out craigslist. There could be a market at your local college.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Something that you love doing and something that brings you money are quite opposing notions. If you have a rare hobby, make a blog about it.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Apart from doing your own blog as already suggested here, you may also want to consider offering your services as a freelance translator. there are so many website that offers this, you can visit odesk dot com or elance dot com and check out their terms and conditions. Another great way to earn part time income at home. good luck to you!

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    For online work you should look at some freelace sites. It takes a while to build a reputation but once you do that you're all set since as a writer work flows continuously because everybody needs new content all the time. Offering samples of your work is a very good idea and something I did when learning the ropes on the internet. Just make sure not to do all the work as a sample For offline work or business I'd say you need to get some diplomas. The good money comes from translating official documents and that can only be done by specialized people, at least here where I live.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    You can try offering to teach English online for the locals of the country whose language you speak. I know there is a high demand for English teachers everywhere, and I bet there are equally just as many of them looking for it online. I'm fairly sure there are websites that offer to facilitate these types of transactions, so just look for one and join and after a while of building up your reputation on said site, then you should be able to make a lucrative income from it after a while. Good luck!

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    I like the above idea of offering English online. There is definitely demand for this.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    If you have a degree in something, you tutor people online for over 20 dollars an hour.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    There is always work for writers and translators. If I were you I would start off by thoroughly researching potential work opportunities and find out how much other people with similar skills earn for providing their services. It might also be worth asking around businesses in your local area to see if they may potentially need your services. Even smaller businesses communicate in some with with business abroad, this might be a customer or a supplier, and may benefit from your skills. If you are technologically minded and have the time and skills, then setting up a website is something to consider. Using social media to let people know about what you do could be another way of getting some business, so set up a few social media account. This should include LinkedIn.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    If you are just starting out from scratch and want to turn your language skills into some cash, you could sign up for some of the freelance sites and try there as a first step. By that I mean the general ones (Freelancer, Elance, et al.) or those specific to translation (Acclaro, GlobaLink, et al.). Once you're ready, maybe develop a business plan and create your independent company. Good luck!

Share on facebook

"The business of America is business."—Calvin Coolidge