Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Tutoring is a great idea. And also a good way to top up your own skills in the process.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I think you can also engage yourself in online tutoring. It is a great way to earn money online and it is legit. In addition, you will be able to set your own rates and schedule. You will interact with many people from different social backgrounds.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I would recommend signing up on freelancer sites. Use your skills to acquire a few jobs and make a name for yourself. Once your history is good on a site like oDesk, Freelancer, or eLance, you will have jobs pouring in.

I would also recommend you create your own website representing your services. This shows your employers and potential clients that you mean business.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dora M View Post
    Hi, I am interested to start a small business using my writing and language skills. I am fluent in three languages. I grew up bilingual and have acquired a third language over the years, so I have plenty of experience. But I don't have any diplomas. But I figure if I provide samples of what I can do, it might be more useful than some certificates. At least I hope so.
    I was thinking about offering my services as a review writer and assistant to people who need help translating things on their websites. From what I read, there is a quite a demand for it, and people are willing to pay well for the right kind of help.
    So far I have only been selling my artwork through my website. But I don't really consider that as a “business”. It's something I love doing, and it isn't exactly a high earner.
    I am keen to utilize the skills I have to get something permanent going. What do you think about this idea? How would I go about it? Where would I start?
    Top jobs for bilinguals or multilinguals >> Language tutors, translators and interpreters.

You're right when you said that you don't need a diploma (especially online). But you still have to build up your reputation that you're an expert in your field and you can only do that by offering your services in freelance job sites for starters. Once you've proven yourself, employers will come to you even if you don't bid for jobs anymore.

If you're starting to receive lots of job offers from regular clients, that's the time to start your outsourcing business. Do some of the jobs yourself and re-assign remaining jobs to others and collect some commissions. Most VA outsourcing businesses started this way, I think some of the translation sites today started this way as well.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    If you have any knowledge in a certain domain (e.g. : Mathematics, Physics, English), you can always try tutoring online!

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    The most important tool that you can have other than being a good writer is to get a website up and running. Its your online resume and it will make a huge difference in getting work.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Have a website set up before you do anything else. Make sure that you have a solid business plan in place and go over it with someone who has knowledge of what you are trying to do.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    As someone already said, freelancer and odesk are probably the best places to start. Be aware though that you will be underpaid as you will be competing with people from all over the world.

Also, being fluent in languages isn't the same as being native, and many employers ask for native freelancers, so you may find competition a bit hard.

Since you have no diplomas, you would probably need to start as a translator or writing small articles for blogs and eventually as you build up your portfolio you may start charging more, or register with Proz which is a site for freelance translators that has a lot less competition than the other two and is mostly for professional translators. It doesn't really ask for diplomas, so once you have a few examples of your work spread on different websites you should be able to get some work there.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Before getting started, make sure to carefully outline your ideas and plans. This will help you really see if something is possible and will help you follow a plan.

Freelance websites are a great idea if you're just getting started. You will also want to create a website right away so that you can begin to market your service and be able to show people more about your skills and your work examples.

Best of luck!!

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    It is good idea. Just focus on your goal and make more connection which help to grow your business.

Share on facebook