Thread: Web Advertising

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I would recommend everyone stay away from Kanoodle
    They are a pay per click company.

I got some very suspect, clicks. Got the traffic but no realy inquiries or timely visits.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Previously posted in the "Creating a Business/Online Success forum...

If you want to advertise on the internet, a few other good ideas are to:

A: Try very hard to pick an original name for your site and bare in mind that your website does not just have to have a domain name like "yourbusinessnamehere".com If your business name is catchy, well, then, good for you, but otherwise pick something that sounds good and that is preferably short (under 15 characters). Oh, by the way, if your target market is America, make it a .com. If the .com is not available, I would refrain from using the name at all. However when you do choose a name ( a great site to help with this is godaddy.com) I recommend purchasing the .com, .net, and .org. This precautionary measure will cost you all of $25.00 and may help to save you from any user confusion.

B: With reference to point A, make sure that the "catchy" name you choose does not include a word that is found in too many places if you want to rely on search engines for marketing. I kknow, I know. It sounds like a contradiction. How can it be catchy but not popular? Well, perhaps try putting two words together that most people don't put together but that sound nice together and are easily typed. If you mess up typing the name all the timeand you type over 25 words per minute, perhaps yu may want to look into alternatives. Just make sure that it's not too ordinary. For example, if your website is called mymusicsite.com, don't expect your site to be displayed within the first "ridiculous amount" of pages when a user processes a search for "music". Keep in mind that MOST users who do not find what they are looking for in a search on the FIRST search results page will not go any further. So plan on anything under the rank of 10th to15th in a search engine not being very effective.

C: Many people overlook this but (since much of googles search criteria is based on what other sites think of your site (web referrals, links to your site from other sites, etc.), remember to get your website on as many web-portals as possible. If any of you out there aren't fmailiar with the term "web-portal" (though, these days, almost every business owner should be), a web-portal is simply a site containing links to a whole bunch of other sites or projects that are usually in some relative or similar genre. One of our clients who simply requested an online journal and streaming media player for their band, was submitted as a service of our company to ONE applicable portal and saw a jump from roughly 25-30 hits per day to 5,000-7,000 hits per day. their total hit count (as of April 2004) is just a bit over 300,000. The site was miseryaddiction.com just incase anyone is interested in seeing how simple it is, and yet how many people hit it. As well, until the next evolutionary step of web-browsing is taken, ALWAYS base your seach engine criteria on google, as even most of the other search engines with any kind of penetration rate worth mentioning now use their criteria and are considered to be "powered by google".

I apologize for the length of this post, howevever (and this is not to say that pay per click's are a horrible idea) but as a web designer, I would say that they are nothing more than a last resort. There are many other ways to promote your website that cost nothing.

I'm not going to ramble on about this anymore, but if your website performs online sales, perhaps you may look into affiliate programs, also. As promised, I will not ramble on anymore unless requested. Just run a google search on affiliate programs or something to that effect and you will find somehing useful about the affiliate marketing strategy.

I hope this helps.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    The Basics...
    At the risk of repeating some of the content that has been posted here (perhaps, as reinforcement)... here is my basic checklist.

1. Metatag Design
    a. Use a maximum of 24 words in your meta tags
    b. Use phrases that describe your site
    c. Use the words and phrases in your metatags/description in your site copy
    d. Gorank.com will tell your keyword density (seek 3-4%)
    e. Test your search engine friendliness
    i. http://www.1-hit.com/all-in-one/tool...ine.viewer.htm
    f. investigate links by spiders
    i. www.gritechnolgies.com/spider.go?
    g. check indexed pages on all engines
    i. “site:www.yourdomainname.com”
    h. monitor your position on all engines at rankwhere.com
    i. google specific at: www.cleverstat.com/google-monitor-query.htm
    ii. googlerankings.com

2. Hand submit site to search engines (The Big Six, all others results are driven from these indexes)
    a. Yahoo!: Locate the proper category and then click “Suggest a Site”
    i. Yahoo! Express ($): https://ecom.yahoo.com/dir/express/intro
    b. Google: http://www.google.com/addurl.html
    c. Teoma (AskJeeves), ($): http://sitesubmit.ask.com/
    d. DMOZ (Open Directory): http://dmoz.com/add.html
    e. Terra/Lycos: Locate the proper category and then click “Submit Your Site”
    f. LookSmart ($): http://aboutus.looksmart.com/p/about...paidinclusion/

3. Link Building
    a. Make sure your link on another site is your domain name, not a tracking url that has their domain name instead
    b. Make use of customer sites and affiliate programs
    c. Seek industry directories for link trading or article/release submission
    d. Use Google GARBO to find similar sites for link exchange
    i. Related:http://www.yoursitename.com
    e. Write articles that contain your keywords
    i. Post on your own site with a pre-licensing statement that allows others to grab the articles and post on their site. Make sure that you give them a specified url to use
    ii. Post your articles on other sites
    1. ezinehub.com
    2. ezine-dir.com
    iii. Acquire content for your own site that increases your # of pages, keywords for indexing/spiders
    1. Ezinearticle.com
    2. Goarticles.com
    3. Webpronews.com
    f. If applicable, create your own Blog/RSS for auto-feed to subscribers
    g. Check the number of links coming to your site with “link:yourdomainname.com”

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Bob

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Web Advertising and reciprical links can be very fickle especially with different businesses. The best advice that I can give to you or any one is to look at the quality of the site your would like to link with. Thier page rank for google should as good or better than your site. You can go here to check a site's pagerank:

http://www.webmasterbrain.com/proogle/

When creating a link exchange with another site, create a link to thier site and to thier links page before you ask to have them add a link to your site and your link page.

Keep your link pages to a max of 50 links per page. Any more than this and the search engine spiders might look at your site as a link farm.

Keep the sites you ask to link to you relative to your site. The sites should compliment your business, not be competition. If they are running a link farm or have a lower pagerank than you currently have stay a way. Their links should also be relative and complimentary to thier site.

Any other questions feel free to private message me.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Adwords and Overture can be very effective. If you are in the UK, you may also try ASK as they have big prescence there. Best thing to do is start off small as a test to see what kind of traffic you receive and of course your ROI. I wouldn't waste money on a banner campaign, the click thru rates on those are abysmal. You might try getting listed in the multiple web directories, they are usually free and good for qualified traffic. You can get into Yahoo for free instead of paying, though it will take a lot longer.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    >> or have a lower pagerank than you currently have stay a way

I've never heard this particular bit of advice espoused before and it seems somewhat short-sighted to me. Really, you want to get all the links you can get. If all webmasters operated this way all websites would be a PR0. And if all the webmasters that you wanted to trade with took such a position, you wouldn't be getting any links, since you only want to exchange links with higher PR pages, thus they wouldn't want to exchange links with you.

Get all the links you can, with your anchor text in the link!

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Online Performance Marketing
    RapideStore Guest
    Online marketing is a great source for a new business. Its a medium that can be handled with small media buys and only pay for performance. Before jumping in to online media purchases, speak to a few small advertising firms. The good firms will give you several options and should present options on a small or large budget.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Mail ad
    I agree. We are doing 99% of our advertising and promotion using the Net and it's working fine. I guess that it depends on the market, but for us, it's doing great. My question is, besides general strategic principles, what concrete actions can help for a net advert campaign that could get quick results?

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Previously posted in the "Creating a Business/Online Success forum...

remember to get your website on as many web-portals as possible. If any of you out there aren't fmailiar with the term "web-portal" (though, these days, almost every business owner should be), a web-portal is simply a site containing links to a whole bunch of other sites or projects that are usually in some relative or similar genre. One of our clients who simply requested an online journal and streaming media player for their band, was submitted as a service of our company to ONE applicable portal and saw a jump from roughly 25-30 hits per day to 5,000-7,000 hits per day. their total hit count (as of April 2004) is just a bit over 300,000. The site was miseryaddiction.com just incase anyone is interested in seeing how simple it is, and yet how many people hit it.

While I agree with Rob on most points, I'd be careful with the online portals. Google has really been tracking down on so called "link farms" that have little content except for links. I did notice that miseryaddiction.com has a 0 pagerank from google, meaning it has likely been penalized for some reason. Linking to a portal is often a reason for penalization by Google. However, if the portal itself is delivering 5,000-7,000 hits per day, then perhaps it doesn't matter if they are penalized by Google.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    I would definitely suggest linking to relevant websites in a similar niche as yours. There are always webmasters of smaller sites especially who are on the hunt for quality link partners such as yourself where their content would match yours. It takes a number of quality inbound links with page rank to help give your page rank a boost and that will in turn help your website's visibility on the keywords you are optimizing for. You can even consider some 3rd party applications to help you manage this since after a
    while it can become a bit unwieldy when managing all the links and checking to make sure yours are still on other websites (sometimes they get pulled without your knowledge.) There are several choices but one that is popular is from Arelis.com -- you might want to check that out. It makes the whole process fairly easy to manage. Good luck with it!

Share on facebook