1. Collapse Details
    Health Insurance Premium Benefits
    Hello all,

Here is a question that I can't seem to find an answer to anywhere online. Simply asked, Is it permissible to provide a health insurance premium cost benefit for favored employees? For example, if I have 12 employees, but highly regard 2 of them above the others, can I offer to pay all or part of their monthly health insurance premium cost and not offer the same benefit for the other 10 employees? I'm talking about a typical, employer-sponsored health plan. I am in the state of Missouri.

The reason I ask, is because, #1 - I would like to be able to do this, if it is legal. #2 - I know for a fact that other employers in the same exact field as mine are doing so (I was recently one of those "favored employees" at a different company). #3 - If it is not legal, then why does it seem everyone is doing it anyway? I guess a better question would be, HOW are they doing it (because I know they are).

I just want and expect to be on the same playing field as the competition. I employee 12-15 people at a time currently, and my small specialty-trade construction business is growing. I have not been able to offer health insurance as a benefit until now, and I'm trying to figure out how to "take care" of certain more valuable employees (other than simply a higher hourly rate).

Thanks!

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I think yes.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Possibly yes dude

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    It may be possible. You should contact your broker and/or your contact with your insurance company. While I don't know of any Federal law there may be a state law the would classify this as discrimination.

Share on facebook