Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Create then sell a business.
    I was thinking recently about those people that make a business out of selling the businesses they create.

I first noticed this online, with software. There are people that create software, make that software somewhat popular, then sell it to a bigger company for tons of cash. I'm not saying that each piece of software they produce gets popular so that they can sell at an immense price, just that they try until they succeed, then sell.

Is it a good idea to invest time and money in a business with the intent of selling, and would you do it if you had the resources?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Yes, I think it's a good option to consider. Maintaining a business can get very stressful and daunting, but at the same time, starting businesses is also exhilarating, so I think this is a good way to get the best of the opportunity while eliminating the negatives. Of course, the downside is that you don't get to continually profit off of a business you built, but if you receive a large enough compensation for it, then I think overall it would be a fair trade. I would definitely do it if I had the resources and knowledge to do so, and I know a lot of people already do this in a small scale because I have seen a good number of people selling online accounts on social media and even gaming accounts.

Share on facebook

Last edited by Taru; 03-20-2014 at 08:27 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah, people do it all the time. It is a great way to make some money, especially if you can build something worth buying.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by alec View Post
    Is it a good idea to invest time and money in a business with the intent of selling, and would you do it if you had the resources?
    Yes and yes. There are many reasons to sell a business (time to move on to a new venture, change in the market, etc.), but selling one for a pile of cash is certainly one incentive. My "day job" is in the IT world (software development) and the example you gave is very common. However, its certainly not limited to that field.

Share on facebook

"The business of America is business."—Calvin Coolidge

5. Collapse Details
    Any business opportunity is a good opportunity. If I were to create a business and someone wants to buy it.. I could initially offer business partnership if they want.. if they are really interested to buy the business and they offer me good terms that is good for both of us, then why not?

Share on facebook

----
    I just started my own website and you can find it on http://www.ofwtips.com

6. Collapse Details
    Starting a business just to sell it, yes it's doable. However I think that you should start a business because you are passionate about it, and shouldn't intend to sell it. Obviously if you get an offer that is too good to refuse then you should sell, but then you will have to restart from scratch.

There are reasons to sell and money is one of them, but I wouldn't recommend you start a project just with the intention of selling it soon.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    I guess it depends on the business. I own properties and sometimes I buy a house cheap, do a few minor repairs and flip it for profit. I would assume any other buisness could follow this same model.

However, it is about presentation of the home, or in your case business, you want to sell. People only buy the "home" or business" if they have some kind of proof that they "could" make a profit from it. Not that they will, but they have to see the possibility of it.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by owesem75 View Post
    Any business opportunity is a good opportunity. If I were to create a business and someone wants to buy it.. I could initially offer business partnership if they want.. if they are really interested to buy the business and they offer me good terms that is good for both of us, then why not?
    Depending on the business you have, am sure there is a lot of money you can earn from it if you decide to sell it.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    It really depends. For people who have no money, they have no choice. For those people who can market and make it into something big then they shouldn't and I think they wouldn't sell it.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonghost747 View Post
    Starting a business just to sell it, yes it's doable. However I think that you should start a business because you are passionate about it, and shouldn't intend to sell it. Obviously if you get an offer that is too good to refuse then you should sell, but then you will have to restart from scratch.

There are reasons to sell and money is one of them, but I wouldn't recommend you start a project just with the intention of selling it soon.
    I agree. The only way that a business could really take off and attract people who would want to buy it is if it is really successful and has even more potential for growth. And a business would not reach that stage if the pioneers were not passionate about it. First, love your business and make it grow. If you get an offer that's just too hard to refuse then sell it, nothing wrong with that. Just don't start a business that you intended to sell even at the get-go. I'm sure it wouldn't succeed enough to attract anyone.

Share on facebook