Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Motivating Staff
    One of the more challenging areas of any business is the motivation of staff. It is important to keep your staff focused and motivated in order to achieve high levels of service. I have found that personal interaction with staff members and clear communication are key areas. It helps a lot if you know what makes your staff member "tick". Do you have any specific tools or processes that you use to motivate your staff?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I always try to make them aware at all times of the status of our achievements, send them weekly results e-mails. I always congratulate the top performers publicly and encourage the others to join the competition. I try to determine them to work like a team but at the same time to want to be the best and to learn from one another.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Maybe financial bonuses for certain goals ?

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichM View Post
    One of the more challenging areas of any business is the motivation of staff. It is important to keep your staff focused and motivated in order to achieve high levels of service. I have found that personal interaction with staff members and clear communication are key areas. It helps a lot if you know what makes your staff member "tick". Do you have any specific tools or processes that you use to motivate your staff?
    The best way to motivate your staff is to run a strict ship. Set high standards so that they no bad work habits will not be tolerated. If you fail to do that they will take your kindness as a weakness, and do whatever they want.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I think the best way will be making sure that your staff is motivated is if you are going to be a listening manager. You need to listen to the problems of your employees and see how to make them work for you better.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Interact with your employees and try to be a friendly but professional manager. Offer financial incentives when certain business targets are achieved. Make some contests where the prize is a cheap item or some delivery food. Encourage friendly competition by making monthly charts with the best performing employees. We are all human, just listen to their needs and they'll be happy to be productive and do their job.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    The best way to motivate your staff and make them work even harder is to make them feel at home in the business. Let them know that if what the company earns goes up, everyone benefits from that. If you create that feeling in workers that they're more than just employees to you but actual business partners they will strive to do all they can to see that the business succeeds.

If all fails, you could offer perks to employees whose performance you're impressed with. The rest will get jealous and work harder to get your attention and perks.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    The best way to motivate your staff and make them work even harder is to make them feel at home in the business. Let them know that if what the company earns goes up, everyone benefits from that. If you create that feeling in workers that they're more than just employees to you but actual business partners they will strive to do all they can to see that the business succeeds.

If all fails, you could offer perks to employees whose performance you're impressed with. The rest will get jealous and work harder to get your attention and perks.
    I agree about the "feeling at home". I had a boss when I worked for a summer as housekeeper, that made us feel like family. That always made me try to do better work. She asked us how we are, made sure to help when someone wasn't feeling well and always encouraged us. There wasn't a set thing you get if you perform better, but she made us feel at home, so I always tried to do the best job I can- and eventually, those of us who were putting in effort got noticeably more hours whenever there was less work, and were also invited to take the night shift (it's bigger responsibility, because only 1-2 people stay from the housekeeping staff).
    At that same job, the person above our boss visited sometimes, and she was a lot more strict and liked to yell at people to get them to the stuff. I didn't like that, and she could rarely get me to put as much effort- I only did it for the sake of my direct boss.

There was a saying, that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar or something of sorts. I think it's true. Being nicer to people and showing appreciation of their work(without letting them walk all over you) can bring better results.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichM View Post
    Just trying to be a people person is a big step towards motivating your staff. You have to be approachable; staff shouldn't fear seeing you explode before them over simple matters. Therefore, to motivate staff, you have to work on you. You have to motivate you. You must maintain tolerance, patience and understanding at all time. No matter how much you find it difficult to deal with a particular employee, you must still communicate with them and even call them when they're at home just to find out how they are doing. At the same time, they must understand the level of authority and still realize that you will be impartial in passing judgement or evaluations.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmac9100 View Post
    The best way to motivate your staff is to run a strict ship. Set high standards so that they no bad work habits will not be tolerated. If you fail to do that they will take your kindness as a weakness, and do whatever they want.
    I think you can strike a balance. Enforce the rules, yet be kind and approachable. Staff will hide things from you and even try to get rid of you, when they realize that you are authoritarian and you lack empathy.

Share on facebook