Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I would definitely suggest linking to relevant websites in a similar niche
    as yours. There are always webmasters of smaller sites especially who are on the hunt for quality link partners such as yourself where their content would match yours. It takes a number of quality inbound links with page rank to help give your page rank a boost and that will in turn help your website's visibility on the keywords you are optimizing for. You can even consider some 3rd party applications to help you manage this since after a while it can become a bit unwieldy when managing all the links and checking to make sure yours are still on other websites (sometimes they get pulled without your knowledge.) There are several choices but one that is popular is from Arelis.com -- you might want to check that out. It makes the whole process fairly easy to manage. Good luck with it!

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    You will also see quite a few websites that use Linkmanager. I try to avoid linking with sites that use them. A few of their older customers don't have their link pages hosted on their site, the links are actually on the linkmanager site and are virtually worthless for traffic or as a backlink for google. If those cases, the exchange is irrelevant since you would be getting nothing from it.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Re: Doing well on Google
    [quote="discountdomains"]The key to success on Google (one of the leading SE's) is to have good content, rich with the keywords your trying to appear under.

Also to find a lot of links from related sites, using the same keywords in the link text.

Dear Clare,

Yeah, but do you know what is the optimal ratio? I mean, google is going to slap you if you abuse. So does naybody had any idea what is the ideal ratio of keywords to fly under Google's radar and maximize ranking?

Doryen

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Google and search engines
    I just thought I would add on this thread on developing an online presence.

From a few tips and SEO (Search engine optimization) articles I have read, it is a good idea to make sure your website is complete and make sure that keywords are present in the right amount. You might think that the page would be search engine friendly if you jam a lot of keywords in your page aimlessly. This doesnt really work and in fatc can result in your site being banned from the search engines for "spamming".

Once your website is ready to go, you wanna include a little text file in your directory called "robots.txt". This is the file that will communicate with the search engine bots and direct them to read all of your site pages for better keyword ranks, or conversely direct them not to read certain pages, or discriminate some bots....all depending on the command in it. You can search for the right commands on the search engines.

There are many good tips on search engine optimization on the web and if you wanna go to google and type "search engine optimization" you will find great links. After all, if these sites appeared on top of the search list, they must really know their SEO well huh?

The final step is to submit your site to google and yahoo and wait for a while till the googlebot or yahoobot visits your site and indexes it. I followed the rules I got from the web and before I knew it, one of my sites was ranked #4 on yahoo for my keyword.

Hope this info helps.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Re: How to be an online success!
    Quote Originally Posted by RCB
    Well I would just like to mention that if you need some assistance in getting started and as to what and how then let me know and I'll be glad to help. I'm basically helping for free because I enjoy helping. So check out my website [edited out: blatant advert]

hello,RCB, I am a freshman on the foreign trading, I eager to know how to start this job and how can I search for the buyers. Thank you in advance. Best regards. james

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Understanding Online Advertising!
    Building an online business is always easier said than done, proper optimization of your website is imperative.

2. Understand where to put your ad dollars and believe me paper and television of radio is a waste unless you have money to burn.

Business and classified advertising sites are a great option but you need to no where to advertise and to be quite honest most people do not, everyone thinks they are the web guru!

I am not either but 26 years in business and 6 years online have taught me alot.
    When advertising online key in on the best local advertisers and I am not talking papers that have web sites, unless they are the big ones unfortunately as most small papers websites are never seen outside the local area.

Do keyword searches on anyone you advertise with to see what there ranking is in the search engines.

For example:

Ohio classifieds, Ohio business advertising, Ohio advertising, etc.

Then look for sites that are interactive, where you can adjust your ads as you see fit. It is also a plus if the site will generate a static html page for each ad as these pages get indexed quicker than standard classifieds and become the same as a web page for the advertiser.

Use pictures in your advertising as people really enjoy ads with pictures and I have noticed that more people view ads with them.

This option is the most cost effective way to advertise since you also obtain a link to your site.

Forums like this are also a great alternative so make sure that you post your homepage in your profile and join other forums like this.

Additionally make sure that your site has a link directory as incoming links are important in any sites success.

If a classified ad site is not ranked on the first page, they are not worth advertising on, some sites have alot of advertisers but no rankings so either the site has sales people going around selling there ads or they are advertising in the local paper which either way that site will not have long term success as money always runs out with out paid advertiser and you get paid advertisers with rankings.

A good resource to check a site search engine saturation is:

Marketleap.com

What type of traffic:

Alexa.com

Do not believe someone when they say they have 1 million visitors a month and you check the rankings and they have under 20 links to there site, it is not going to happen!!!

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Hi I am new here but I have worked for an online furniture store for about a year and we spent a ton of money on pay per click advertising with Google. I would advise anyone against using them unless your business is really large.

I am starting a online bead store and plan to use alot of word or mouth advertising to friends made online at the crafters forums I am part of. Also planning to make business cards and pass them out around my hometown.

I am using OS Commerce for a store and since it is database driven I have been told that it is not Search Engine friendly. For that reason I am putting into each products description a complete html page with meta tags and keywords.

I plan to do the Google Adwords thing and also submit to all the free search engines. But even with all this I expect a slow start. I will be looking for crafting webrings. forums, and chatrooms where crafters hangout. I will be watching for craft shows and bazaars, and try to attend events that will let me meet my target customers.

It may be a long road but it looks fun from here. I am still putting products in my store at this point and can hardly wait to make my first sale.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Well,
    In my experience I have learned a few things...

1. Not All SEO companies know what they are doing. I always get calls from seo companies that can do really great things at a great cost. As a rule... when you get the phone call tell the caller "that is great that you know how to get top placement... lets look at your companies placement on google for the keyword search engine optimization, because obviously your website will be number 1 or 2." Most of the salesmen on the phone then back peddle and talk about they don't have time to maintain their own placement.. yatta yatta yatta.

>>If you find they do have top ten placement.. Listen to them.

2. Target Your Market - Your local website directory or online classified ads are probably not the best place to advertise... of course depending on your product or service.
    If somebody is looking to purchase a cow salt and pepper shacker, they probably do not care and will not respond to your ad about a home for sale. Know where to put your advertising.

3. Make your website "sticky"
    Give your visitors a reason to come back to your site. news, forum, download, etc. The only tricky part is not to offer too much. What I mean is potential customers are not the only visitors you will have to your website. Competitors will visit and read everything on your site as well.

Thats all I have time for now..

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    as far as making the site sticky - giving away freebies is a great way.
    Not putting yourself out of pocket is the hard part, you need to find a balance.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    I was basically wondering if making videos promoting Clickbank products still works. I was going to spend a little money on Fiverr and buy a video testimonial, some views, likes, and comments. I just don't want to spend all the time for research and the money if it'll be all for nothing. I know there are no guarantees but there should be some kind of information out there about it. Do you think YouTube videos promoting Clickbank products still work?

Share on facebook