Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Turning Down Investors
    I've had a few people contact me about investing in my online business, and I've turned them down, because I got my mind set on owning everything. My site is all I got, and I plan on owning it for the rest of my life.

Have you ever turned down anyone that wanted to invest in your business? Why?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I've never had someone express interest in being an investor in my business. Should I get such an offer then I'd drive a hard bargain.

An online business would require more than just money to make it successful so unless the investor is willing to work by my side or pay people to work by my side, I'd not take the offer.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I've never had such an offer, but I have a friend who has experienced the same for his site and he also did turn the offers down for pretty much the same reasons, I think. He says it's mostly because he considers his site a hobby site and does not intend to profit off of it even if it does get a significant amount of traffic. It's important to define your limitations and borders early on, regarding whether or not a venture is a hobby or a business, as it makes decision making down the line a lot easier.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    As a general rule there are two reasons why anyone would want to take on a partner(s) for any business. The business is failing and suffering a continual cash flow problem, or it is very successful and the owner wishes to expand. Using a partner bypasses the need for additional cost by way of loans and generally provides an extra pair(s) of hands to take some of the hoped for increased load.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I can think of an example of that happening in recent years. One person we knew well and was genuinely interested in investing capital in the company. However, we never could get the details worked out and we walked away. There was no hard feelings, it just wasn't going to work.

We also had a guy ask to buy us outright. The offer, though, was an insult and we was sent packing. But that's another story.

Share on facebook

"The business of America is business."—Calvin Coolidge

6. Collapse Details
    I started an online business couple of years back. This business was my brainchild and something which I loved dearly. Within a few years of its incorporation, the business started showing signs of success. And as we all know, people always like to get in on other people's success. And I started getting quite a few calls from potential investors, but this was something which I loved dearly, and I knew that if I involved a partner, I would lose my creative freedom. So, I turned a few calls at that time.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    If you have no need for capital, then I see no point in getting investors involved. It's that simple really, they have nothing you want so why would you give them something they want?

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    No they have not, however I don't have my own business yet that's why
    Owning EVERYTHING is good but if you want to grow you'll need capital or some extra hands.
    You can get this through others investing in your business or having enough cash and time.
    If you do need the extra hands, why not give someone a small share and let them work for you and for themselves at the same time?

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    I think it all comes down to the offer. There are offers that are simply too good to pass up. Remember the old saying, pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered! Dont be too greedy.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    I agree with was said above. I think it all comes down to the offer. The offer might be to buy you out and it might
    be at the right price.

Share on facebook