1. Collapse Details
    Craigslist Adds For Rentals
    I am new to this computer stuff. I usually put my for rent adds in the paper. Then someone told me that I should be using Craigslist to find potential renters.

Another person said not do use it because I will just get scammed and I won't find good renters that way. Both people are intelligent and trustworthy.

So which person is right? Should I be using craigslist to advertise my rental properties? Is it safe? Will I get scammed?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Caution, would be your best friend when getting anything from craiglist. There are many scammers on the site but there are also people who are genuinely using craiglist to find the things they're looking for. Some real estate agents get their clients solely from classified ad sites. Because of that, don't rule out the possibility of getting tenants from Craiglist. To protect yourself you could ask for cash . . .

Try it. You won't lose much except a little time spent writing and posting the ads.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Be careful, the Craigslist killer might get you. In all seriousness though, be careful on that site. There are a lot of scams, a lot of mean people and a lot of pranks going on right now.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Post the ad online - it cant hurt. Yes, there are a lot of scammers out there and you will expose yourself to a wider variety of them, but in this day and age, not posting online might limit your potential renters significantly. When someone replies to an ad in the paper, what do you do? You should do the same thing through a craigslist ad - just treat it as a phone call. Follow the same procedures you normally would and you will probably have more potentially good renters.

I am assuming this is rental property we are talking about here. Make sure to meet them in person, have them fill out your rental application as usual, and don't accept absentee renters from overseas even if they are willing to pay up front. if you meet with the people to show the property you will get a better feel for them than you can if you do it exclusively over the internet.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I would check out the numerous Real Estate/Rental search engines. My personal favorite is Zillow, much better results and you can provide more accurate details about your properties. This will result in more appropriate and reliable inquiries.

Cheers

Share on facebook

Keith W. Koch
    Digital Strategy Consultant/Oregon Ducks Fan
    CEO/Founder Kelektiv88 "A socially responsible creative agency"
    www.kelektiv88.com
    IG:@keithwkoch
    Twitter:@koch8801
    Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/keith-w-koch/1b/929/2a9/

6. Collapse Details
    Be very Very careful craigslist is like an online scamming city!

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    I have used Craigslist for years with mixed success. Some crazies, tire kickers, and some good applicants.

Good luck with your rentals.

Share on facebook

Last edited by ANewDay; 08-06-2014 at 08:10 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Yes, you can use craigslist. But do this properly. It is a good online advertising which provides a more flexible method of buying and selling properties.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    It couldn't hurt. Eventually, if they are interested in renting your property, they will have to show you their driver's license, proof of employment and background check, right? I got a lot of responses when I advertised for rental on craigslist and I have found good places to rent on craigslist.

I found a lot of attempted scammers when I tried to get a loan off there. Some of them were so detailed, they even had their own LinkedIn sites, but it was obvious to tell that they were scams after some time.

Share on facebook