1. Collapse Details
    Working with / hiring Minors
    Ideally everyone I worked with would be considered an adult in the eyes of the law but the nature of my work does not always allow for it. Minors are not legally bound by contracts and can void it at a moments notice. I am usually able to at least speak with parents in the case of working with a minor. For the most part there hasn't been a problem, but I know I could be left high and dry if a young person were to take advantage of the situation. I don't mind working with young people and I feel they need to be given opportunities, but not at my expense.

How is working with minors handled in your area? Do you enter into a contract with a parent? Are there laws specific to the hiring of youth?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostvalleyguy View Post
    How is working with minors handled in your area? Do you enter into a contract with a parent? Are there laws specific to the hiring of youth?
    It really will depend on the laws in your area.

I live in the United States, and even laws differ from state to state.

Where I live, I believe, you can hire as young as 15, but most places don't because the laws in that case are very restrictive. Even with 16 year olds, there are jobs that they can and cannot do, legally. There are certain jobs that have tasks that are considered dangerous that anyone who is considered a "minor" is not allowed to do -- at all.

So it really does depend on where you live, and the laws in your area.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    In my area, I am not also sure that minors are allowed to work. Somehow, I feel that there must be some kind of provision for letting them work full-time. - Steven C Wyer

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I definitely does not have personal knowledge of the particular repercussion when hiring minors. I know for a fact that is it illegal in some states. - Steven C Wyer

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    GOV.UK uses cookies which are essential for the site to work. The youngest age a child can work part-time is 13, except children involved in areas like. Children can only start full-time work once they’ve reached the minimum school leaving age - they can then work up to a maximum

Share on facebook