Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Unconventional Inexpensive Ways of Advertising
    Too many small businesses get daunted by the fact that conventional advertising methods are hideously expensive despite having a limited impact and no promise of Return on Investment. I feel small businesses should focus on unconventional methods to get their message across. These methods can be significantly cheaper than conventional ones, and are often free!

People are simply too tired of having ads bombarded at them from television screens and bill boards.

Let's list some unconventional and cheap ways of advertising on this thread.

I've heard that some businesses in Japan, rather than distributing flyers, hand out tissue papers in crowded public places with their addresses. This way, they are noticed, and these tissues are used, not thrown away.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Customized matches. Slap your logo or business name on the match box and give it to your client if he needs a light. Let them keep it.
    Fridge magnets. Make them interesting looking to be sure the person you give them to is gonna use them.
    Advertising via bike. This is rather new since I'm talking about leds that generate an image on the tires.
    Stickers. Print them yourself and stick them around the city (be sure it's legal in your area).

Now that I read them some sound silly, but here goes

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I've mentioned this before but try to become a prominent member in a major forum for your niche. This takes time but the results are worth it. Once you become a prominent member, set your url in your signature. That's free traffic just for interacting with people on the forum. How easy would it be to gain traffic (aka make money) simply by talking with people on the forum? Of course, to reach this level you'd have had to offer a lot of interesting and informative content on the forum.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    That of using tissue papers is really funny. I would say that you can use T-shirts. They are really cheap. Simply buy plain T-shirts and print your business details on them. Give them out to people. They will act as the walking billboard. Also use custom company stationery.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Tissue paper is funny but I say combining something functional with the business information is the best way to go. Often stationery is a good bet but sometimes pens are lost or run out of ink and trashed. Bookmarks are an inexpensive option if the demographic likes to read hardcover books.

Social media coupons are fairly new and though the numbers can be hard to crunch, some people say that they have helped to increase sales.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Vehicle magnets advertising businesses are becoming popular more and more. Company name, addy and phone number listed on stationary items to give out. Last but not least, make up goody bags and give them out randomly.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    That's a great idea. I think any form of advertising that has a certain use will always end up better than just flyers. For example, I get a lot of coasters and lighters from different companies, and I still use them to this day because they are very useful. I think the lighter idea is especially good because those tend to get passed around to a good number of people due to the fact that everyone will need to start a fire at some point and if you have your company name on the lighter then there's a good chance of it gaining visibility and interest.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I like the "prominent member of a forum" idea. In my experience, veteran users in boardgamegeek and similar sites are many times shop owners or designers, produces, etc. They usually have a high post volume, meaning whatever URL they decide to show is getting a lot of exposure. Besides, it's extremely targeted advertising, since you're in a place where only potential customers will look. Great exposure for the effort, probably none, as your business area is quite likely also a fun topic for you to discuss.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tintiano View Post
    Too many small businesses get daunted by the fact that conventional advertising methods are hideously expensive despite having a limited impact and no promise of Return on Investment. I feel small businesses should focus on unconventional methods to get their message across. These methods can be significantly cheaper than conventional ones, and are often free!

People are simply too tired of having ads bombarded at them from television screens and bill boards.

Let's list some unconventional and cheap ways of advertising on this thread.

I've heard that some businesses in Japan, rather than distributing flyers, hand out tissue papers in crowded public places with their addresses. This way, they are noticed, and these tissues are used, not thrown away.
    There isn't any.

Advertising cost money. There is no way around it. Regardless of what kind of advertising you try. You are always going to have to invest some sum of money. i get the fact that nobody likes to be bombarded with promotional ads, but that is what advertising is. Throughout history it has been proven to be effective. It is expensive, and it is annoying. However. That is advertising.

Share on facebook

I Need Money!

10. Collapse Details
    There are a lot of advertising and marketing stints you can do that costs little or none. You can set up a Facebook account for your business followed by some of the most popular social media platforms out there. The world wide web is a very vast place to advertise your products/services. You just have to use the right keywords and hashtags plus a catchy URL for your website then I think you're all set.

Share on facebook