Thread: Unemployment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Unemployment
    I own a maid service in NY. One of my employees quit because she found a better job in another industry. I offered her a pay increase if she stayed. She declined. Then I receive a letter that she is filing for unemployment. I contacted my unemployment office to state she voluntarily quit for another job and they denied me. I think its unfair that I'm paying unemployment wages for an employee who voluntarily quits. I have appealed the decision. Any experience the same? Any helpful hints on how to appeal?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I guess the lesson from this is to communicate in writing. For example, insist that employees tender a resignation letter when they leave. If they refuse, don't accept the verbal resignation: invoke a proper disciplinary procedure regarding their conduct (eg: failure to attend work).

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    wow. Do you have any emails, etc from her that could give proof that you had a verbal agreement?

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I was always under the impression the previous employer took precedence in determining firing or voluntary departure, but that is in Illinois - maybe it is different in your state. You may want to contact your attorney for review/advice.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Re: Unemployment
    Most states use the "base period" to determine which employer to charge for the claim. The base period is the last 4 complete quarters. Any employers that paid the employee during those 4 quarters would be eligible for the charges. So if the person worked for 2 companies during that time then the two companies would split the charges. It really doesn't seem fair but that is how the laws in most states are written. The same thing would happen if someone came to work for you for one day and then quit. You would not be charged for the unemployment and the prior employer would receive the charges. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Weird, I don't know about where you live, but in Canada you can only file for unemployment if you are laid off. The employer has to send you an ROE (Record of employment) and then you would bring it to the unemployment office. If she quit.. then this is illegal on her part. You could definitely fight this and win without a doubt! Get in contact with a good lawyer is my advice!

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    I always thought that you could only get unemployment if you were fired or laid off as someone mentioned before.
    It may be different in every state, I'm not sure.
    Anyone I know that collects unemployment checks has been fired. I don't think you can quit and draw one like that.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I'm not sure if you can still get the unemployment benefits if you're fired unless you have the reason for that. Another things is that if an employee quits because she has found a better offer, then how do you know she has found a better job? There's an evidence that she won't be able to receive the employment benefits if she works for someone else in which she gets better paid. Plus, if someone quits and receives an unemployment benefit, you can either have to request a resignation letter or have some sort of a written document instead of verbal evidence, but then again people can quit whenever they want without letting you know. You do have the right to actually stating the persons quits to receive the unemployment benefits, otherwise, you should have to document that as a prove. I would talk to a lawyer about this because the person is probably doing something against the law or policy from the unemployment department.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    It appears from what you say that she may be committing fraud. She may have found a job that will pay her under the table, and she thinks she can get away with collecting unemployment benefits at the same time.
    A worker is only eligible for benefits if they have lost employment through no fault of their own, AND they have paid into the system long enough to generate an award.
    Fight it.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kohuether View Post
    wow. Do you have any emails, etc from her that could give proof that you had a verbal agreement?
    I would also try to get hold of something that states she has quit herself.
    If you don't have that, you should follow through on that appeal. If this goes to court, you will surely win. I just hope it doesn't go that far.

Share on facebook