Thread: Unemployment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Always do things in black and white. A verbal agreement won't help you when it comes to situation like this. I hope you figure this out soon and maybe you could talk to your former employee again about this.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    If you live in the U.S., you cannot claim unemployment benefits if you voluntarily quit your job. It's another story if you were laid off and was not fired for issues of insubordination. In those cases, you have a good chance of being eligible for unemployment benefits.

Also, you may be eligible for unemployment benefits in the case where you quit your job, if the specific state agency determines that you left due to a valid reason. It could be due to a hostile work environment (harassment, discrimination), non-payment of your services, or dangerous/bad working conditions with health and safety risks involved.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Oh wow, I definitely don't think that you can do that!

Here in North Carolina, you can only get unemployment if you lost your job due to no fault of your own.

That's pretty crappy that she would do you that way if you ask me!

I would keep appealing it. Good luck...I hope things work out for you.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    To start, whenever an employee quits or is terminated you should always document it. Ideally you would have them sign a form stating that they quit if that's the case.

Since you don't have documentation in this particular case, the next best piece of evidence would be a witness to all or even part of the communication that took place with her. If you don't have a witness then it will be your word against hers.

Have you had previous experience with terminated employees filing for unemployment? A clean track record showing your compliance with the unemployment office may be helpful to you here. I have to say, it does sound like you're caught ebtween a rock and a hard place here, and I feel for you. Best of luck in getting this resolved.

Share on facebook