Thread: Quality Changes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Standards
    I have been a Quality Manager for over 8 years and in these years I have seen many changes.

I beleive that Standards are not as popular as they used to be. The thought of creating a Qaulity Management System would send shivers up the most die hard fans.

Have said all that standards are needed for compliance and standardization.

I am from Australia and the big thing here at the moment is sixsigma.

klub

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    What exactly is sixsigma. I have heard of it somewhere before but I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    It is defined as:
    "A quality measure and improvement program developed by Motorola that focuses on the control of a process to the point of ± six sigma (standard deviations) from a centerline"

I'd view it as a quality method driven by the focus on elimination of defects.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Yes, right!
    It is like a philosophy, know-how,method, how to improve the quality in your organisation.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Quality and Six Sigma
    Six Sigma is a management philosophy that focuses on eliminating mistakes, waste, and rework.

Six Sigma is used to look at process and figure out why and where they have problems.

Employees will rarely dedicate themselves to a new project unless they see the CEO believing in it, too.

So you have the Executive Leadership at the top to back the program. Once that is accomplished then the other players in Six Sigma can be selected and assigned the projects.

You have the Champions, who clear the obstacles. The Master Black belts who are the engines to make the project move. They are the workhorses. Then you have the Black Belts, and the Master Black Belts understudies, and the Green Belts and Team Members, who serve as support staff.

The important issue is that it must have support from the top down through the ranks.

Once you have approval for the project, then the first step is to come up with a detailed, manageable project plan, one that has clear and specific project’s objectives, goals, and timeline. The customers, internal and external, should be asked to define the requirements of the project. But you have to do more than just ask your customers. You have to capture customer needs and desires and translate them into design requirements.

In Six Sigma, once you have Identified and Defined the goals, and Developed a concept, then we are ready to Optimize that design. That is done by using something called Robust Design to determine the absolute best way to go about it and then use Tolerance Design to figure out how to do it at the lowest cost without compromising quality. For example, take invoicing. The supplier sends in an invoice that starts a chain of events that transforms the information into record keeping and finally a check being sent to the supplier. The smoother we do that, the better. The key to both designs is to minimize the variability, or the ‘friction’, of that transfer.

All along the way, every step is thoroughly documented. This allows us to capture the lessons learned with each tool and method applied and with each function and discipline. That information will provide the control system for the future.

If you follow good Project Management practices with Design of Six Sigma, you can successfully and effectively apply this philosophy to virtually every activity that is perform every day.

Small projects are good to start with. This allows for successful completion with results for management to see and approve. Then larger projects can be assigned.

- John Spinnato, Quasebarth Advantage Consulting

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Ray Bradbury says “The good writers touch life often. The mediocre ones run a quick hand over her. The bad ones rape her and leave her for the flies.” and think this really applies to the quality of a business. Edsger W. Dijkstra says “Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.”

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    On a side note. Quality always trumps price in two things:

Footwear and mattresses.

Someone wise told me that these two should be the best because we use them for most of our life.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    i would rather spend a few extra bucks on something that i will be using quite a bit rather than going cheap and regretting it later!

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Improving quality of your organization helps to your organization development growth.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    It’s a late reply but hope it might help someone now! Believe in attaining the quality results that helps the company to attain good results and helps in reaching the next level. It not only takes the business to the next level but also helps the employees to be updated and reach the next level.

Share on facebook