Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I believe 2 things are essential in opening a profittable bar business. The first is location location location! If you can get some place on a very popular street which has alot of traffic and/or tourists the first problem you have is solved. Streets like these are really great for bars, if there are alot of people walking by every day there is a greater chance that someone will decide to come in and get something. The other side is decoration and ambience. You have to decorate and model your bar in a way that will attract your customer! If its going to be a sports bar - Tvs alot of sports memorabillia etc. Make the decoration unforgettable and people think "wow this place is so cool" when they come in. Also pick your target audience and a way to attract them! Post other questions you have and ill try to help with my ideas

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Target audience is a very important point. Different types of people like different bars... also keep in mind that these groups of people have different spending habits.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Make sure you can get a popular street with plenty of people, and get plenty of TVs and put them everywhere. I'd recommend making a grill & bar, where there's the bar aspect, and there's a place where a family can eat and enjoy their meal.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Watch some bar rescue and read articles from Jon gaffer.. bar genius lol.. Seriously though location is key.... And you really have to think of what your target clientele is and really base your promotions, decorations, etc on that

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I agree with what a lot of the other people on here have been saying. You have to find a suitable location. If there are 20 established bars right next to you then you are not going to be successful. As with anything you have to have scarcity. Find somewhere that has either very few or no bars around. Chances are that people would rather go somewhere close by than somewhere far away so location is huge.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    My boyfriend is a guitarist and plays in bars every weekend. The scene is bad for bars right now. They open and close quickly... I don't really get why except I am guessing everyone is drinking at home these days and now with the legalization of weed you are going to see less and less people in bars. My cousin just opened 2 Hookah bars, you might think about checking into that as I hear they are very popular and even here in the mid-west hookah is gaining popularity! Good luck and Cheers!

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Take the time to thoroughly analyze your local competitors. Try to gage their success by traffic (visit the bar as a customer on a Friday/Saturday night) and marketing efforts. Look for promotional flyers, take note of any ads they place in local papers, radio, etc. Do they have a website? If yes, make a note of it and critique it to determine their success. (You can use tools like OpenSiteExplorer.org and MajesticSEO.com to compare website metrics with measurable scores in Domain Authority, mozTrust, mozRank, etc. The higher the score, the better. You can even see how many backlinks their site has established) Look at their participation on social media - do they have any business pages on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, Twitter, even YouTube? Make notes of the marketing they are currently doing and look for opportunities where you can do it better. (For example, many bars may not have a Facebook page, but this is a brilliant way to increase promotional announcements and foot traffic. If you decide to launch this business, gain an advantage by engaging online through as many social networks as you can handle on a regular basis. Promote your social pages in the bar and online. Knowing your competition intimately will help you to make a more educated decision on such an investment.

Share on facebook

American-made SEO designed by seasoned marketers and never outsourced.

Visit us online at www.moorethanseo.com
    Find us on Facebook for exclusive content and promotions: https://www.facebook.com/Moorethanseo
    Visual learner? See our boards on Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/moorethanseo/

8. Collapse Details
    It's a great business but getting the permit might be a bit difficult. You would also need to pick a really good location because if you don't get enough customers, permits can be expensive and you might go at a loss. But once you have established loyal customers, your profit will soar up. It is a risky business but I think it will still be a good move.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Getting the liquor license is the single most expensive part of this endeavor. It'll take months and there is a lot of red tape. Once you've found the ideal location, you need to make sure your staff is all about making safe money. They MUST card, they must report tips, and if you make the experience of working there good for them, you'll all profit. Alcohol has an insane profit margin, so try not to be greedy about it, you'll turn your customers off. This is a numbers game, and you'd rather sell more product at a lower rate than less at a higher rate---the customers will tip better and be more loyal. Good Luck!

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Location is very important, in my opinion. You want to make your bar very accessible to customers. A place where there's good foot traffic is a place to start, not a place in the middle of nowhere. Startup businesses must also take into consideration marketing strategies. You need to be able to market your bar well, show others why it's better than other bars. Once your bar is up and running, you guys should build strong relationships with your customers so they can keep coming back to your bar. I'm not so knowledgeable about the legalities of bar businesses, but I think you're going to need some sort of business license in order to sell alcohol.

Share on facebook