Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    A Home Business Or A Hobby?
    Hello,

My name is Cliff and I have read several previous posts to mine relative to designing web sites for home businesses.

Forgive me if I seem naive here, but am I to understand this is the priority for the forums goal operating a small home based business?

Since I operate two home based businesses now, I can assure you the last thing I concern myself with is web designing. Don't misunderstand me, to be successful with your business, your site must meet certain professional criteria. But in my opinion, your time is better spent on fine tuning your marketing strategies and let the pros handle the web site for you! (Again, this may have already have been discussed in prior posts that I have not seen yet!)

If not, then the caption above comes into play here asking if you are serious to making a profit with your home based business, or is it rather a hobby and thus the write offs you are submitting to uncle sam are not genuine!

I'm sure that no one on this forum will argue the fact that over 95% of home businesses or internet marketing FAIL! It is because they tend to put the cart before the horse with obvious consequences.

To be int the 5% that are making the big bucks, learn what they are doing in marketing strategy, their time, and duplicate their system which I outline in my book!

My two cents worth here!

Happy Easter to all

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Build a website for a home based business? Wrong!
    As with most SEO stuff now, the usual advice for business owners wanting to use the internet to market and sell is not shell out money to pay for a professional site, and certainly not to attempt to create your own if you have a total lack of design skills.

SEO engineers all suggest creating a blog site or a forum site, both of which need mostly work with the content, so you dont need any skills in website creation.

Try Google's:
    blogger.com

Just use each blog page to highlight a product and write a decent descriptive paragraph, with your pros (and cons if you wish) and bang it up.

It's the easiest and quickest avenue to Internet presence.
    Beware, though, blog sites arent always accepted in web directories other than for blogs, but if you search for directories and engines which are of a relevant topic, and submit your site to them, more than likely, you'll improve your spread.

Try:
    searchengineguide.com/searchengines.html
    searchenginewatch.com/links/article.php/2156351

Lastly, if you have the capital, say about £2000 GBP, then you can afford a professional website and some decent SEO and marketing to start you off.

Check my signature to view the website we had made for us, it cost over £2000, and the marketing is still costing us money, but you cant argue with results!

Good luck!

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Hi,

I personally feel if you want your business to succeed then a professional internet presence is a requirement these days. If you display a website lacking in design and failing to meet certain W3C web standards criteria then it can look poorly on your company.

Besides W3C standards also helps a great deal on site load time and compatibility. Apparently, if you website does not load up in 12 seconds, you could have potentially lost a client.

You donít have to look far for professional site development at a low cost, we develop websites for companies on a day to day basis at a low cost, and you can view our portfolio. Get in touch if you are looking for website development for your business.

With regards to marketing, there are a number of factors as to why a considerable number of online business fail, there is a lot to learn and you do need plenty of time, patience and commitment to make a go of it. Also, I must stress on the level of research which is required on your target market.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    you want to market according to your business, i once was in the coffee industry and the best and most affective way to gain customers is by LETTING THEM TASTE IT
    if you can offer a sample go for it

in a nutshell " every war is fought differently"

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I think that it's good to have a business done from home. But, if you are just starting, it's not really a good idea to be 100 % on it alone. You must take side jobs online as well. It takes a while for a website to make money. What I do is I get some article writings on the side and some web designing and web dev going on to make quick money.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    What we're doing is trying to turn our hobby into a home business! We both quit our jobs and went into it full steam, and so far it's paying the bills, but just barely. I'm still taking jobs on the side, trying to get to that tipping point where my time will be more valuable 100% dedicated to our projects than my side projects.

Since things have changed quite a bit since this thread was started, how would you change your approach to websites and internet presence in general? I am starting to believe that social media presence is as important, if not more important for small businesses than a professional website.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    I think that it's good to have a business done from home. But, if you are just starting, it's not really a good idea to be 100 % on it alone. You must take side jobs online as well. It takes a while for a website to make money. What I do is I get some article writings on the side and some web designing and web dev going on to make quick money.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    If you write well and you are very passionate about the subject you're writing then having a pretty website isn't all that important, but if you become successful enough why not pay a little to spruce it up and make it more user friendly? Once you have a following it doesn't make a huge difference, but for new users of your site it could make the difference in them coming back or not.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Some good points made here already. I agree that, depending on how much money you have put aside to pay your bills while you get your new online business up and running, it can make a lot of sense to take on jobs for other people on a part-time basis, for a while. And it can be very lonely running your own show, so partnering up with someone else can be a really good way to help ensure your success. Working with a buddy, you have someone to keep your spirits up when the going gets tough, someone who might be able to offer skills and experience that complement yours, and someone to bounce ideas off and formulate strategies and plans with. Two brains are better than one, in other words!

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    I think it can be a serious business depending on how bad you want it. Although there are MANY sites out there that are considered home based businesses, many don't make enough to pay to support a family. Many of these businesses are just considered hobbies and many of them receive freebies and such to promote. While there are many blogs and such like this, there are the select few that are serious businesses. Some of these may start on the internet and expand into a store. Sites like etsy.com are businesses. So I guess, you should design your website according to how you want it. If you want to become a serious, big businesses, maybe you should consider hiring a web designer.

Share on facebook