Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Help -- Opening a Restaurant
    Two good friends and I are planning to open up a resturant. We have no prior professional experience with opening a physical business and could use some pointers as to the major elements we should be concerned with.

Does anyone know what regulations (ie. food handlers liscense, business liscense, tax id) are required to open a resturant? We already know what food we will be serving, how it will be prepared and such. However our lack of experience in starting a physical store front from scratch is proving to be a challenge.

It would also be helpful if I could be given a heads up on what obstacles I may encounter when leasing a vacant building/area.

Any feedback that could point us in the right direction is greatly appreciated .

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Opening a Restaraunt
    I would suggest trying your hand in the food industry for a year or so before you make your decision about opening a restaurant. It might be more work than you figure. Preparing, making and serving the food is the easy part.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    For a start you'd need a license from the the food standards commitee.

But I agree, get some training behind you. also if you don't mind me suggesting, to make your venture a bigger success, have a trade mark of some sort. A certain something to your food, like a secret ingrediant that make the dish taste better but your compatition can't figure out.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Resturants are hard, extremely hard. I grew up in and worked in my fathers bar/ resturant which he owned for over 30 years. My uncle also owned bar/resturants. Resturants are one of the toughest businesses out there. They can be very profitable, but you have to have experience working in them. If you have no exp at all working in a resturant, your setting yourself up to fail. Very few people know just how difficult they are unless they have a good background in working in them. People dont seem to realize the time, effort, and dedication that is required in running one. You cant just have a good product (food), thats not enough, no matter how good it is. There is an unbelievable amount of work and time required with starting and keeping a resturant going.

One of the hardest problems is getting good help. Usally if a person "is of good quality", they set thier sites alot higher than being a waiter, bus boy, or cook. There are very good people out there that do those things, but they tend to be few and far between.

Another of the hard things is the time required. Resturants are one of the businessess you have to be there just about all the time its open. You have to constantly moniter the service, the quality of food coming out, the keeping the place clean, and not to mention all the unforseen things that come up through out the day (and always do).

For now, thats at least a little insight to what I have learned growing up with a father and uncle both in the business.

PS: Im also in the process of opening my own resturant, but I have an extensive background both in the working and managerial aspects of the business, having grown up in one (not to mention my uncles), and its still hard for me. Resturants are extremely difficult.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Re: Help -- Opening a Restaurant
    Hello.
    That is a lofty plan!
    I would suggest research--lots and lots of research.
    Many successful restaurant owners started their own venue after years of working at another restaurant. You learn the ropes, which are the best vendors, how to handles situations, what the best locations are, etc.

If you don't have this experience you may want to consider approaching an successful restaurant in your area (a non franchise) and ask if you can open another location for them in a different area. This way all the start-up work is done for you, and you have instant brand recognition. If the owner is willing to consider it, you will more than likely have to work as a manager in thier existing restaurant for probably a year.

But whatever you do, you should really have an operations manual from the start. This will act as a reference guide for you and any employees and by using a manual from the start you can add to it as you go, so that when you franchise you will have a complete manual. Manuals are not only reference tools, but when you franchise they become sales and legal tools as well.

Larger consulting firms charge $15K plus to create customized manuals, but if you want to save money you can develop your own, or use an expertly written template that has notes about where to input your specific information.

Good luck!

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I disagree. The restaurant business can be easy and enjoyable. I hope you dont mind me giving advice. But here are a few pointers.
    1. Two things that will be huge factors, in making your business a success: taste and cost.
    2. Never do anything that you dont have to do. Instead, spend time on tasks, that no one else can do.
    3. Advertising is the key to a successful business. Figure out new innovative ways to advertise. You dont necessarily have to spend a lot on advertising.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Go to your city hall or county hall and request information. You'd be surprised how helpful they can be.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I see a lot of projects for restaurants (specially living in NY), they are extremely difficult to find funds (loans), unless it is an specialized lender, (which will charge you high interest). Banks usually shy away form this types of projects. This is going to be a major obstacle for your business, not only for start up, but if you ever find yourself in a cash crunch (and it is likely that you will).

However, limited menu restaurants (such as a cheese steak shop) or franchises are easier to find capital. Many banks specialize in franchises or have set underwriting terms for them. Lastly, experience is key, if you don't have it, then work in the industry for some time and then decide when and how to open the restaurant.

Another alternative, is to open a franchise, you will get operational training and support (and that depends on the franchise) and will have an easier time finding capital. If you are in NY, visit our website, you may find some info that may help you.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Sounds like you need hired help!! Although it will cost you a few extra bucks, it will be way better then getting your business on the go and then getting in trouble because you didn't have everything covered and taken care of. Your business can be successful even if you have no business background, but for somethings it might be best to have someone there to advise you on what to do.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DSK83 View Post
    Two good friends and I are planning to open up a resturant. We have no prior professional experience with opening a physical business and could use some pointers as to the major elements we should be concerned with.

Does anyone know what regulations (ie. food handlers liscense, business liscense, tax id) are required to open a resturant? We already know what food we will be serving, how it will be prepared and such. However our lack of experience in starting a physical store front from scratch is proving to be a challenge.

It would also be helpful if I could be given a heads up on what obstacles I may encounter when leasing a vacant building/area.

Any feedback that could point us in the right direction is greatly appreciated .
    You can get in touch with your local eviornmental people, whoever they might be, I live in Ireland so it's the department of fisherys and food. They can give you a run down of all the things you need to have set up with toilets, access, food certs, layout and how to mark and rotate food stuffs. They will give you a list to work from that will satisfy what they need from you.

Getting a good accountant who has maybe just started out so the price will be more attractive than someone set up for years. Keep all reciepts and a book of what you spend and buy; something just very simple but always good to get into doing it. Search out good local suppliers and bounce them off eachother to get the best price and keep reviewing who you use to get the best out of them.

Share on facebook