Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Small Business Options
    Hello!

I am seriously considering going into business in order to supplement my income. I am already employed, however I would like to have a second souce of income to fall back on. Even if it's a modest money maker, I'm satisfied with that.

I've been considering some option that I feel would be great passive income generators. I've been contemplating the following:

1 - Laundromat
    2 - Car Wash
    3 - Travel Agency (I already work as an operations manager for an aviation company)

I was curious to know some of your thoughts and suggestions. Can anyone offer some advice? Or, perhaps some tips and recent experiences?

I currently live in the DFW area, and realize that the cost of small business may be a bit cheaper here than other parts of the country. Has anyone recently opened a small business like those previously mentioned? I really would like something to supplement my income.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

B. Copeland

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Not quite hands off businesses
    BCopeland,
    I don't know much about car washes buut I can tell you about Laundromats and Travel Agents.

Laundromats - Seems like a simple idea but they often involve more work and headaches than is apparent.

Travel Agency - My wife is a travel agent and does most of her office's back office stuff to include the books. Traditional travel agents are getting crushed by the internet. Airlines recently cut out their cut subsidy of travel agent ticket sales so unless you will sell strictly cruise and vacation packages or operate online against the big boys . . .

Carwashes may be a descent investment. Or what about tanning beds?

Jon

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    A little info on car washes
    A quick bit of research shows that roughly 25% of the expenses of a car wash will be expected to be allocated toward the attendants working for you, and that they are the single biggest operating expense. So, it is clear that you are dealing with a situation where unskilled labor is crucial to your business and also a large business expense.
    I suggest that special attention needs to be paid to trying to create more reasons to work for your car wash than just a wage that is comparable to McDonalds, or any other low skilled work in the area. A myriad of options are available and several revolve around atmosphere and market niche. An example could be hiring small groups of young people to dry cars in a welcoming atmosphere to develop relationships and retain employees because of the fun atmosphere (after all that's why we all stayed at our low paying high school jobs right?)
    Having said that, location and great access is obviously key to the success of an often last minute decision sale such as a car wash. i hope thats useful and good luck in which ever business you choose.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Hello Dear, I am in Security and investigation business since long time and you need not to invest much but yes this is a business where your expertise works and you should have a team if you think you are interested in this king of field you can think about it.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Hello Friends,

I just joined the forum. I'm trying to start up a small online business.Leading supplier of engineering supplies cardiff, engineering supplies in swansea. This is all a bit new to me so I'm looking for some help getting off the ground and taking care of details you usually don't consider when you think about starting something like this. Hope I can get some help and help a few people in return as well.

Thanks,
    Priority Industrial Supplies

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Good luck on your new endeavor!

If you haven't already, I would suggest doing a flowchart of your website. It will really help in not only laying out the website design and navigation but also in helping you think about things you might not have thought of before. Also, one thing I always ask is what is your corporate "tagline"? i.e. one sentence summary that embodies your corporate mission and culture. I know it seems like a collegiate exercise but forcing oneself to distill what their company is into one sentence brings a lot of focus in my experience.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BCopeland View Post
    Hello!

I am seriously considering going into business in order to supplement my income. I am already employed, however I would like to have a second souce of income to fall back on. Even if it's a modest money maker, I'm satisfied with that.

I've been considering some option that I feel would be great passive income generators. I've been contemplating the following:

1 - Laundromat
    2 - Car Wash
    3 - Travel Agency (I already work as an operations manager for an aviation company)

I was curious to know some of your thoughts and suggestions. Can anyone offer some advice? Or, perhaps some tips and recent experiences?

I currently live in the DFW area, and realize that the cost of small business may be a bit cheaper here than other parts of the country. Has anyone recently opened a small business like those previously mentioned? I really would like something to supplement my income.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

B. Copeland
    Hello B. Copeland,

I will prefer car wash business. Its a small business and easy to start with and it will give you immediate result also.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Any business proposal has to go through a lot of approvals and sanctions. You have to know the pros and cons that will come along while doing the business as well. This varies from one business to another so it is best to consult with an expert before kick starting the right business.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Good luck on your new endeavor!

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Hello D Copeland,

We are in your area! We live in Quinlan, just down the road from Rockwall on one side and Greenville on the other. We can relate to needing the "extra stream of income". Wouldn't you prefer something with minimal investment of finance? Just a thought, but have you considered direct sales or some call it network marketing? It's becoming a fast growing option for many who have become dissatisfied with their lack of job security and the threat of being laid off without benefits or retirement. More and more are seeing that college degrees do not necessarily equate to employment.

My husband is retired military and I am a freelance sign language interpreter. Those are jobs that we trade hours for dollars where our network marketing business gives of hours back in time freedom. Just curious....since you are looking anyway, if I sent you a couple of videos on the product and the business, would you watch them.

You can respond to this thread or our business email is admin@bobandtrishahicks.com

To YOUR legacy,
    Trisha Hicks

Share on facebook

Live A Legacy, LLC
    "Don't Let Your Day Slip Past Your Promptings...It Matters!"
    James 4:14
    trishahicks.juiceplus.com
    31legacycards.com
    facebook.com/livealegacyllc