1. Collapse Details
    Liquidating inventory and fixtures
    Hi.
    This is the first time posting so here we go.
    We have closed our business and presently have not sold the fixtures and a fair amount of inventory. Does anyone no of a good place or way to advertise these fixtures and inventory so we can move them out. Thanks.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    You might contact an auctioneer.

You can also call or mail a notice to others in the same line and offer them some "fantastic prices".

Be prepared to get less than a quarter on a dollar, more like a dime, if you are lucky. Remember the inventory is still there and didn't sell, so that proves it is not particilulary valuable.

Be prepared to turn down no offers, don't let your feelings get hurt, get what you can and walk away.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I have not yet closed my business but I sense it is fast becoming obsolete. It's a small internet book business. I started it for all the wrong reasons, and now it owns me. I'd like to retire, but I've no idea what to do with the inventory. I have been selling teacher resources to teachers and home schoolers, but now many of them are turning to computer programs or whiteboards. Meanwhile, many of the out-of-print books I've been selling are now being sold cheaper as e-books. Although my prices are sometimes lower than Amazon's, I don't and can't have the advertising budget they have. I'm also losing interest in the business. I just don't know how to get out.

I have a huge website and about $50,000 worth of inventory at cost, but it has lost market value because of the competition. Since I started my business, more and more discounters selling at close to cost have started competing with me. I have no employees and can't handle the volume I'd have to sell to offer those kind of discounts.

I don't think a business which may be becoming obsolete is really going to be bought by anyone, but I've not tried selling it. I don't even know what one does to prepare to sell a business. I suspect I'd be just as well to just try to liquidate what I can. I live in a area where not too many people read, and other businesses like mine who have store fronts are also having problems. Two of them in my town have come and then gone out of business while I've been living here.

I've tried selling some of my best used books (good condition but several listed online) to a local bookstore and the buyer just scanned them and took ten books out of five boxes. If the lowest price on Amazon was one cent, he wasn't interested, even if my book was in better condition and the customer would not be paying the 3.99 shipping fee to Amazon if buying in a store. I have donated several carloads of used books with too much online competition to local thrift shops, but I haven't made a dent. I'd really like to get something for the books I paid market value for. I'm still making a few sales, but curriculum standards have changed and I don't want to invest more into updated inventory. In another two years, it will probably be obsolete, too.

Any suggestions? We don't have any good auction houses around here. It would take the rest of my life and more to list all this on eBay.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    nice post @BPB sound good..

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    The company notifies its employees, its vendors, its creditors and its customers that it is closing up shop. It pays its taxes and fulfills its contractual obligations. It liquidates its inventory and other assets by selling them off quickly, often for less money than the company originally paid for the items.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    If a company needs to liquidate its assets quickly, there are businesses that specialize in liquidation. ... These companies buy leftover inventory for a fraction of their retail value and then resell the goods in their own stores, generally for less than the full retail value, but more than they paid for them.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Insolvent liquidation means that a company is closing because it cannot pay its bills as they fall due (cash flow insolvency), or the value of business assets is less than its liabilities (balance sheet insolvency). ... Creditors' Voluntary Liquidation (CVL)

Share on facebook