1. Collapse Details
    Question About Search Technology
    I'm wondering if anyone knows of any search technology out there that searches files on all of the computers in the office?

We're a document heavy business and people are always out at meetings so I can never get to the document I need when I need it becuase the person who has it is never there. Asking them to upload everything to the server doesn't seem to be working.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks for any and all help!

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    You might try speaking to firms like Inktomi, or Google.

I believe they offer search solutions for internal intranets/etc, but suspect it depends on your internal technology or network type.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Autonomy - though very pricy.
    Google desktop search/indexer can do a network spider as can the Microsoft agent.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Individual PC's all have security on them (such as XP passwords etc). And then there are other problems such as PC's being turned off at times, adn the inabilty to simply backup your companies data when it is scattered all around the place.

You simply need to make it company policy that everything related to the business is saved on the server. That way searching is simple, keeping a backup is simple, and if a users computer needs replacing, just simply replace it - all the data will still be accessable.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    yeah, i'd stay clear of software such as google desktop. take a read of this news article concerning the security of such products:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4700002.stm

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    According to me Google will provide you the best answer.

Share on facebook