1. Collapse Details
    Need advice on accepting credit/debit cards
    I am opening my first store here shortly, but I have yet to find a way to accept credit/debit cards. I jumped the gun and bought the wrong cash register, as it doesn't process credit cards or have a terminal for a creditcard swiper.

So I am currently looking for a new cash register that either comes with a credit card terminal or has a slot so I could plug one in. I am a total newb on this subject, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

So my business will be a small specialty grocery store. I would estimate that I would get maybe 15 credit/debit card purchases a day. I looked at firstdata.com and like their "clover station" but I do think it is out of budget for my store, but I am open to it, if it will make things much more easier on me. Other than that, I was planning on getting a POS from Staples that said it came with a free credit card terminal when sign up for their credit card service ( i think firstdata.com). The model was Sharp XE-A207.

So can someone give me advice on these POS and others as to which might be best for me? Also I keep hearing about QuickBooks and how I should get it, but I feel like I don't really need it. I can create a program on Excell and use that to keep up w/ my inventory and sales, but again I can go with quickbooks if it is a better option. I guess I"m trying to save money if I can. Also I worked at a store that grossed $4million a year, and from time to time had to do inventory with a pen and paper, so that is another reason why I'm kinda against quickbooks for keeping inventory.

This part of the business is the main thing that I'm not familiar with and would love as much advice as I can get. Also firstdata quoted me at 1.49% credit rate and $0.19 transaction fee......is this low, high or avg?

Thanks!

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Evening.
    POS systems can be exspensive especially in start up and not knowing what type of customers and how they pay.

You can safely assume many will use credit/debit it's very common. There are some great online merchants that you can accept through a computer. just by typing in the numbers and amount.

Do you have a website? If so PayPal has a great merchant service.

If not there are devices that attach to your phone that can run a credit card. I'm not real familiar with those but any merchant will charge a percentage.

Best thing to do is find a reputable name. Even if the fee seems a little higher be sure to read the terms (no contract) is better.

Call the companies you are interested in, their customer service should give you a big clue as to what type of service they are...friendly, helpful, reasonable. When I deal with any company this is a HUGE deciding factor.

Hope this helps.

Share on facebook