Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Why you must have a website!
    It is VERY VERY important that your home base company has a website. I found this interesting article from Entrepreneur that says it very well.

Thanks!

Sean

Q: My business is very small, just me and two employees, and our product really can't be sold online. Do I really need a website?
    A: That's a good question. In fact, it's one of the most important and most frequently asked questions of the digital business age. Before I answer, however, let's flash back to the very first time I was asked this question. It was circa 1998, during the toddler years of the internet.

I was giving a speech on the impact of the internet on small business at an association luncheon in Montgomery, Alabama. Back in 1998, which was decades ago in internet years, the future of e-commerce was anybody's guess, but even the most negative futurists agreed that all the signs indicated that a large portion of future business revenues would be derived from online transactions or from offline transactions that were the result of online marketing efforts.

So should your business have a website, even if your business is small and sells products or services you don't think can be sold online? My answer in 1998 is the same as my answer today: Yes, if you have a business, you should have a website. Period. No question. Without a doubt.

Also, don't be so quick to dismiss your product as one that can't be sold online. Nowadays, there's very little that can't be sold over the internet. More than 20 million shoppers are now online, purchasing everything from books to computers to cars to real estate to jet airplanes to natural gas to you name it. If you can imagine it, someone will figure out how to sell it online.

Internet marketing research firms predict that the number of online consumers will grow at a rate of 30 to 50 percent over the next few years. These numbers alone should be enough to persuade you that your business should have a website.

Let me clarify one point: I'm not saying you should put all your efforts into selling your wares over the internet, though if your product lends itself to easy online sales, you should certainly be considering it. The point to be made here is that you should at the very least have a presence on the web so that customers, potential employees, business partners and perhaps even investors can quickly and easily find out more about your business and the products or services you have to offer.

That said, it's not enough that you just have a website. You must have a professional-looking site if you want to be taken seriously. Since many consumers now search for information online prior to making a purchase at a brick-and-mortar store, your site may be the first chance you have at making a good impression on a potential buyer. If your site looks like it was designed by a barrel of colorblind monkeys, your chance at making a good first impression will be lost.

One of the great things about the internet is that it has leveled the playing field when it comes to competing with the big boys. As mentioned, you have one shot at making a good first impression. With a well-designed site, your little operation can project the image and professionalism of a much larger company. The inverse is also true. I've seen many big company websites that were so badly designed and hard to navigate that they completely lacked professionalism and credibility. Good for you, too bad for them.

You also mention that yours is a small operation, but when it comes to benefiting from a website, size does not matter. I don't care if you're a one-man show or a 10,000-employee corporate giant; if you don't have a website, you're losing business to other companies that do.

Here's the exception to my rule: It's actually better to have no website at all than to have one that makes your business look bad. Your site speaks volumes about your business. It either says, "Hey, look, we take our business so seriously that we have created this wonderful site for our customers!" or it screams, "Hey, look, I let my 10-year-old nephew design my site. Good luck finding anything!"

Your website is an important part of your business. Make sure you treat it as such.

Tim W. Knox is the founder, president and CEO of four successful technology companies: B2Secure Inc., a Web-based hiring management software company; Digital Graphiti Inc., a software development company; and Sidebar Systems, a company that creates cutting edge convergence software for broadcast media outlets; and Online Profits 4U, an e-business dedicated to helping online entrepreneurs start and prosper from an online, wholesale or drop-ship business.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Edited. Reason for edit - removal of advertising]

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Yep, website is very important thing. Especially for days like today, when internet is global spreader of information. You can direct your customers with your website.

Resume: Every business must have own website. That's my opinion.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Re: Why you must have a website!
    There are too many low cost options available today to not have a website for your business. Even if you have no technicial skills many domain name registration services offer site builders to help you create your website step by step.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I love the fact that when I design a clients website... six months later they can not remember what they did before the website.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Having a website is important.Many people today look online first, even before the yellow pages. You can have a lot of great info about your company. With the rising price of gas, people are looking to make less needless trips.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I also agree that having a website is important! For one, how annoying is it when you are trying to get in contact with their company and you can't find their phone number? VERY! If the company has their own personal website, it should say the number on it. Also, phoning a company just to get the hours they are opened is old school! Having a site allows you to get this type of simple information out to your consumers. As sad as it is, people these days don't know how to communicate face to face anymore. Having a website and an email, may give these types of people a chance to try your product!! Also, having a website brings in more customers as it advertises your business on the internet.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Another reason why you must have a website is the "EXPOSURE". If you are running a small-time / home-based business having it exposed to the world (through your website) will give you the potential to grow it ten-fold (if not, at least on a larger scale than how you originally started with it). Besides, it will also bring you new customers or potential investors to help you expand should they find it very very lucrative in a larger scale. good luck to you!

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I completely agree.

In this day and age, almost everyone owns a computer. This makes owning a website beneficial for any business owner. When I need to find something, I always look online. I enjoy searching for the best deals. I can shop in the comfort of my own home. A lot of other people think this way too. With all of the internet searches, a business would be able to grow faster because they are being recognized.

Fortunately, websites are not very expensive. It is relatively easy to use. No matter what size the company is, it does not matter. The price is the same.

If you own a business, I recommend that you start a website. You won't regret it!

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Yeah a website will only run you about 60 dollars a year these days and if you aren't completely handicapped when looking at a computer you can design it yourself. Wordpress, SquareSpace, etc. these sites just make it so simple, there's no reason to pay a developer thousands of dollars.

Share on facebook

I make decent money on Cash Crate and pay for a number of things using gift cards I get on InstaGC. Feel free to check out my work online blog.

10. Collapse Details
    The great thing about this is that people like me who want to make money creating websites can make more money because more people want to have websites!

It is a very good thing to have a website especially if you have your own business. The majority of people will google everything that they come in contact with, and if you don't have a website for them to google they might lose interest. The more professional your website looks the more likely they are to trust you as well. It's fairly cheap to maintain a website, but there can be some pretty big costs initially if you want something decent. I do think that it is worth the cost though.

Share on facebook