Thread: Attorney fees

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Attorney fees
    Hi everyone,

We went to attorney yesterday. HE took $250 per hour! and he did not tell anything. I felt I know better than him. Do anyone know if this much rate is normal. In the conversation he was dull. I was saying to him rather. I felt very bad that he didn't say much & took 250 bucks!

Waiting for ur reply.

Thanks

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Most lawyers
    Most lawyers are there to collect money. We don't know the law but they do. I signed up for a service that gives me free phone consutation with a lawyer on unlimited matters who specifies in what ever field I have a question about. $100 was the cost my brother in law paid just to speak with a receptionist !!

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by harivillu View Post
    Hi everyone,

We went to attorney yesterday. HE took $250 per hour! and he did not tell anything. I felt I know better than him. Do anyone know if this much rate is normal. In the conversation he was dull. I was saying to him rather. I felt very bad that he didn't say much & took 250 bucks!

Waiting for ur reply.

Thanks
    unfortunately that is a fair price, some will even charge you more!! Should have gone to law school right lol What were the questions you had to the lawyer, maybe we can help you here in the forum. With the internet now hosting every possible answer out there you can research most of your questions online and find answers without getting ripped off by some dull lawyer with few answers. I am sure there are good helpful lawyers out there buy I have yet to come across one. And they will charge you for every minute of their time. Had a lawyer charge me $80 for the time it took him to reply to an email I sent him!! I say you are better off without a lawyer and just research your stuff online.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Hey there! I’m sorry that you got ripped off, nobody likes that feeling. There are legal services that you may a monthly fee for, prepaid legal advice. We have a membership to a similar program and they take care of small things like drawing up paperwork and guiding us in the right direction with certain matters. Is there a specific issue that you need advice on? Most attorneys offer a free consultation and even payment plans.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    That attorney must be a joke. Here in the Philippines the acceptance fee, the one he took from you, should only be charged after the attorney has consulted you regarding your case. 250$ is not a joke and so He must provide you with what he knows about your case, what he has studied in law school. If your attorney does nothing and just keeps charging you, I suggest you get a new attorney and sew him for malpractice.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I work for a small law office, our Attorney's charge $150 per hour, but it depends on what kind of legal work needs to be done too. You more than likely don't know better than him even if he was dull, unfortunately hiring one is just necessary evil sometimes and I've seen them do many great things for people as well, they're not all bad.

Share on facebook

I make decent money on Cash Crate and pay for a number of things using gift cards I get on InstaGC. Feel free to check out my work online blog.

7. Collapse Details
    This sounds about normal, really. If you feel like you're not getting anything useful from an attorney, go on the the next one, there are some that will rip you off by not telling you what you need to know right away, leading you to paying for more. And sometimes attorneys don't know a certain area of law as well as others. Depending on where you live, the prices may be more or less expensive, and also depending on how good the attorney is, but to pay so much that it hurts is normal.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I once had a lawyer (who was a friend) try to charge me $1200 for drafting a letter that I had written myself and sent to him to ask him to look it over. The letter was to someone who owed me money for work I had done. He added a sentence in the beginning about the fact that he was acting for me, put it on his own letterhead, and signed it - all for $1200. This must have taken him all of 10 minutes! I sent him a polite note pointing all this out, so he sent back a revised bill for $100, which I did pay.

As other posters have pointed out, lawyers' fees do vary so you should shop around - but they will sometimes try to charge you for the tiniest little thing. And it is often possible to dispute a lawyer's fees if they seem unreasonable!

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    I'm sorry to say, but that pretty much sounds like the standard fee for an attorney. Like one of the posters said above, they know what they are talking about more than you do. Don't think you know better than they do, because if you try and do anything by yourself, the judge will wipe the floor clean with your sorry butt! One thing that you can do though, if you dislike the attorney, is to try and find a new one who can maybe help explain things to you better or maybe they will be a bit less stuffy and a little more friendly. In my experience, the best attorney's are the really stuffy ones and the ones where you don't really know for sure what they're talking about, because they are the ones who really have their act together and know what they are doing. Also, just because an attorney says everything that you want to hear, don't always listen to them. Some want to guarantee that you will win, and will tell you that you WILL win just so that you keep paying them your hard earned money. Hope this helps!

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    While $250 an hour is really quite standard for business lawyers, I'd never meet with one who doesn't offer a free or reduced consultation rate. Lawyers are contracted to take care of your business, and I want to know that the lawyer understands my needs and we've come to an agreement about what services will be expected before I decide. I've never met with a serious lawyer who wants money before they consult---most reputable people don't want to waste their time or expertise on something that isn't in their field, or might make them look bad in their community.

Share on facebook