Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I am trying to start an online business - need some answers
    I live in Wisconsin, and I want to sell video games on eBay. I have been to many distributor's websites, but they all require a business tax number if I want to see pricing info. So almost 2 months ago I filled out the Business Tax Registration form. I applied for my seller's permit (in that form).

1. I still haven't gotten anything back. Should it take this long?

2. Will the seller's permit have my business tax number on it, or are they two separate things?

3. Is this all I need to sell on eBay?

Thanks in advance.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Video games on ebay
    First of all do you have experience on ebay. Second of all can you offer a better price including shipping than any pawn shop in the US? If not consider moving on to your next business venture. An idea is one thing, but don't be afraid to abandon it if it will not be competitive.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Success: Follow up and Dont Be Discouraged
    I agree with moving on with one idea if one does not work out but how will you know if it will work unless you succeed or fail at it.

I am not sure how the whole permit/tax forms work, however, if I were you I would contact the organization where you applied. If it is the city you live in - call the city and follow up on the status?

I think you can make plenty of money selling video games..and there are plenty of other vehicles to do this online. Ebay is not your only option.

There are hundreds of people that make thousands and even millions of dollars online with no major experience.

Anyone interested in more information on online Business's please PM me.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Unless you can afford to buy in very large quantities, your profit margins on video games are going to be very slim indeed and there's always going to be somebody willing to undercut you. You would do better to find a product with either less competition or better margins.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgall
    Unless you can afford to buy in very large quantities, your profit margins on video games are going to be very slim indeed and there's always going to be somebody willing to undercut you. You would do better to find a product with either less competition or better margins.
    I agree with gorgall, most video games tend to sell at a $40-$50 dollar range. So if you are looking for a good profit, you must be able to purchase them at the lowest cost. Which means buying in very large bulks. If you have the resources for this then go for it, other wise I recommend finding another product to sell on ebay.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I have always been a little leary of drop shipping but I am hearing and reading that many have been doing just such on Ebay and other places online. Hmm.. Well, if that is something you want to investigate, then I would suggest that maybe rather than just selling video games, adding other items that gamers would enjoy. In other words, broaden your selling market.

But, I would give all this long and considerate thought before investing a lot of money in this business. Figure ways to make money that you can do without a big investment or always have a "back out" plan or worse case scenario just in case.

I do not discount enthusiasm or effort in a business cause that can make all the difference, but just do not go into a business blindly either. Know the pitfalls, the costs, the market and most of all, your target customer.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    I appreciate the real point about needing to afford competitive pricing. I have come up with some good ideas for starting small businesses, and I do not mind taking calculated risks. I also realize that marketing serves as one key to a successful business. However, it seems that a larger company can so easily come in and overcome a small business simply by trying to one-up the small business. How does a small business owner (just starting out) keep that from happening?

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I wouldn't recommend E-bay since it is full of scammers either way, from the employees, the site itself and the buyers and sellers.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    We are the online marketing consultants and if you wants to start your online business you can contact us. We provides Marketing Ideas for Small Businesses.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    What it sounds like you need is an Employer Identification Number (EIN) aka a Federal Tax Identification Number, which is used to identify a business entity.

Generally, businesses need an EIN, and you can apply for an EIN online HERE

Share on facebook

STOP LOSING CUSTOMERS!

You are losing potential customers right now by not having a mobile website

See how awesome your website could look on a smartphone and get yours ASAP!

www.yourmobilesitemaker.com