1. Collapse Details
    Stormwater Pollution Prevention Legislation
    Not sure if this issue falls into this catagory.......

The federal DEP is handing over stormwater pollution regulating to the State of Maine - and I'm not sure what other states.....

We rec'd a fax a couple wks ago letting us know we were to send $300 with a notice of intent (NOI) info on the Maine.gov website wasn't available in detail until 10/11/05. In the pdf doc after 10/11 it is stated it must be filed by 11/14/05.

From going thru the hundreds of pages I've been filtering thru the past week - it looks like we'll need to hire an engineer to draw up a SWPPP for us (stormwater pollution prevention plan) b4 we can even apply!

We are a small lumber business with about a dozen employees - this is yet another huge burden for a small business. We have called our local state representative..... I haven't called the person in charge at DEP yet...

Anyone else been thru this??

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Stormwater Pollution Prevention Legislation
    Hi researcher,

Sorry to hear that you are being slammed with a surprise like that

I haven't had to deal directly with preparing an SWPPP, but I have had to deal with siesmic regulations within a quarter of a mile of the Hayward Fault in California. Oh boy fun The owner of the company had moved the company and didn't file any permits when he went to set up in the new facility near the Hayward fault, he figured his equipment had been through some big earthquakes, he knew what he was doing. Well, the fire department shut his line down. I came onto the scene six months after they were shut down.

After being hired on to help with the situtation, I found that by going in and speaking to all of the city and county departments involved, it sped up the process in gathering the exact information they required, which included engineered drawings. We were back up and running within a week and within two we were exceeding previous production runs.

All I can say is start communicating with them. Trying to change the law is a great long term goal, but it won't alleviate the requirements you are facing now. Give them what they want, nothing more nothing less, keep your business going.

As a side line, continue to persue your representative to change the requirements.

Good Luck

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Thermal oxidizers are used as a method of pollution control for process air containing small particles of combustible solids or liquids. Exhaust air in industrial settings may be highly polluted, and it makes sense to oxidize (burn) as much of it as possible, so that the exhaust consists of little but non-toxic carbon (soot). Thermal oxidizers are sometimes divided into non-flame oxidizers, which use slow heating to incinerate pollutants, and direct flame thermal oxidizers, which use plumes of flame. Thermal oxidizers may also include a process called catalytic oxidization. In catalytic oxidization, organic compounds pass over a support material coated with a catalyst, commonly a noble metal such as platinum or rhodium, that encourages the pollutants in the air to burn. Catalytic oxidizers can break down pollutants at much lower temperatures than thermal oxidizers lacking catalytic action.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    You will identify potential sources of pollution that may affect the quality of stormwater discharges, and identify and design BMPs to reduce stormwater pollution. As the EPA writes, an effective SWPPP is the key to preventing stormwater pollution.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Hello! It’s clear that you are facing a serious problem. Any document or essay that you write and take to the appropriate local authorities must be accompanied by a detailed description of the problem of Water pollutions. It is also advisable to draw up a separate petition where you must indicate the signatures of the residents. In any case, if there is such an opportunity, use the services of a good land lawyer.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Here are the best ten different ways you can lessen your commitments to stormwater contamination.

Try not to dump anything down the stormdrains. ...

Use pesticides and manures sparingly. ...

Utilize a vehicle wash as opposed to washing your vehicle in the road. ...

Get your pooch crap. ...

Toss your rubbish in the trash. ...

Discard your cigarette butts.

Share on facebook