Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    How to Avoid Losing Money to Scam Sites
    The internet is full of juicy offers to make money fast. Hundreds and thousands of people lose money fast daily because they get trapped by scam offers. These web sites look very attractive. They lure the people with the hope for solving their financial problems. They display pictures of smiling people who tell you that they have made their way. They provide you with testimonials. Be careful about what you see: Webmasters buy pictures of smiling, attractive people at internet photo agencies. Testimonials can be false.

You need to do some research before you spend money for any of these internet businesses. The following checklist might be helpful for you:

Are There Any Exaggerations?

Does the website promise profits that sound too good to be true? Do you believe, if a profit of 5, 10 or even more percent a day is realistic and does sustain? Some websites offer a profit of 30% a day. Others promise you to convert $30 or so into $100,000 within an unbelievable short time. An ad even claims: Be a millionaire in weeks! No wonder that these websites disappear within a short time along with the people’s money – or they just leave a lot of frustrated people behind.

Are the Contacts Reliable?

Is there at least a reliable contact at the website? Do they answer to your requests? It is even better if there is a working live support, a working telephone number (not just a recorded voice, answering the phones).

Check at Alexa

You can check at the Alexa website. There you can type in the URL of the website. Alexa shows you if there is a name, a company, an address or a telephone number behind the website. If it is a well known scam website, you already can see some bad comments about the website at Alexa.

Check out the Environment

You can check out easily, what is going on around the website. You just go to Google, type in the name of the website and click search. You will detect, if there are bad news about the website. The internet is an open world and you find complaints about bad offers quite soon.

Be aware: If you type in the full URL, Google only displays you the exact website. If you just type in the name or title of the website, Google lists you many background information.

Check out Black Lists, Forums, Monitors

There are monitors and forums about the issue, in which the website is active. Do you find any opinions about the website there? Is the website black listed? Do not spend any dime, if a website is on a black list. Are there any ratings about the website? Does the website have a certificate, e.g. one by NetIBA? The Internet Identity Bureau and Associates verifies the identity behind websites. Merchants can get a certificate if they comply with the NetIBA rules.

You need to be aware, that forums can be manipulated. Scam websites can spread out favourable news about their website. They can use false internet addresses and nicknames. Scam websites have affiliates, who still go on promoting them, even if more and more people start complaining about the website.

Trace the IP Address and Hosts

You can find out the IP address and server of the checked website at network-tools.com. There you can type in the URL of the website. Certain scammers use always the same server and IP addresses. This hint could help to detect, if a well known scammer starts a new website.

There Is no Warranty

Even, if you do your home work: there is no warranty that you do not get trapped. A scam site might be new and a blank leaf to the internet community. It is recommendable to observe matters for a while before you spend money. The more the people become alert and the more transparency is achieved – the less chance new scammers get to do their fraudulent activities.

[Edited: Reason - removal of commercial URL]

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Re: How to Avoid Losing Money to Scam Sites
    Getting rich quick with very little work is a dead giveaway. Why would they need you? They could have their dog do it. Seriously, do some research before you invest your hard earn money in any home business.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    If the site asks for money and it's too good to be true, you can expect that it's a scam. If something in your gut says that's kinda fishy, then it's most likely to be a scam. Don't give out your credit card details right away.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    You basically just have to think about it logically! There is no way, that you can pay a site 100 dollars and they will give you a million in return. It just doesn't make sense! Also, I find googling these things helps. There is usually someone who fell for this scam, or knows about it. The government is pretty good at providing knowledge about all the "popular" scams, so you should be able to find something. Although sometimes it may be hard to tell, if you don't know your best bet is to walk away from it! You don't gain anything that way, but at least you aren't losing what you already have!

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I have stumbled upon a website that I have recommended by one of the radio stations. Well, you would think it's legit because first it's recommended by the radio station and people would think that they wouldn't lie about getting you to sign up the site because radio station won't do that to listeners. Well, what surprised me was that when I signed up to the business site that was recommended by the radio station, it asked me for my credit/debit card information and I have to pay for the shipping to get the information I need in order to work for the company that the website suggested. I would never pay the company to work for them in order to get paid by working for them. I mean, don't get me wrong, when comes to business, there's no trusting, plus I wouldn't pay the company to get them to hire me and later it's the one who pays me at the end. I think it's more like a scam than legit, and that's how I have found out that there were people actually got their bank account hacked because they gave them the credit/debit card information.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Common sense is usually more than enough. Most scams are very very easy to stop, aimed at complete idiots who actually believe in "Send me $100 and I'll send you $1000" talk.
    As mentioned in the first post internet forums are also very good, usually if someone get's scammed they will write about it somewhere.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Thank you for all the wonderful advice. I have never heard of Alexa, but it sounds like a great resource! I didn't know that you could track the IP address on network-tools.com either. It is so sad when people get ripped off by these illegitimate companies. The claims are outrageous, and I guess if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is!

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpefley View Post
    Thank you for all the wonderful advice. I have never heard of Alexa, but it sounds like a great resource! I didn't know that you could track the IP address on network-tools.com either. It is so sad when people get ripped off by these illegitimate companies. The claims are outrageous, and I guess if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is!
    Yep. One good idea for situation when you are not sure is to pay with Paypal. They have a complaint system that can usually get your money back.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    I agree and most of those testimonials are fake anyway. People should really learn these warning signs and not be so hungry and ready to succeed that they get suckered into these get rich fast schemes. The best way online to build any business is slow and natural. Honest by working hard and gaining the trust of people that are interested in what you have to offer. These money hungry vultures will do anything at any cost to make money.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Yes, I agree ... that old adage "If it looks too good to be true, then it is" holds very true especially when it comes to many income-making opportunities on the web. Have you ever gotten an email or landed on a website that mentions that you can earn $$$ just by processing emails? But what "they" don't tell you is the fact that you need to spam a ton of email accounts to make money! Or what about this "work at home opportunity"? You can work at home, however, you'll need to buy a certain type of software program from the "hiring" company to start working and making money! Hmmm ... give me a break! That company should be giving you the necessary software program so that you can do work for that company, don't you think? Anyways, bottom line, be very careful when entertaining income-opportunities on the web.

Share on facebook