Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Want to run online cloth business from maryland
    HI All,

Question background:
    I want to sell clothing products(T-shirt, saree(asian cloth, Handloom)) in online from my home(in maryland). I will collect products from asian country. I will operate my business from maryland & want to sell in whole USA.
    My total investment will be around $6000 & no plan to expand more till getting success. And i am expecting less than +-10 orders/month. Even 0 or even 50 max!!

Can anyone please help me on below points considering my above description:
    1. Am i need to open LLC? How much cost it will take?
    2. My home(stock) in maryland. If i need to ship an order to other states then am i need other licences except LLC?
    3. Does any sort of licesing is required for my such little business? Please consider i need to ship orders in different state with my website name.
    4. Is it possible to ship orders to other states without any license? What will be the risk if am not licensed.

Will appreciate your guideline.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Now these days everyone love to shop online, so it will be beneficial for you to start selling online. I think you should concern with some expert and with the help of it you can start your business.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    You need to build a website and create a platforms to sell your clothes or any other products online.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Clothing is a risky business. Even giants cannot survive in todays economy. It costs you more to import from Asia than you think. While a shirt for example may be $10 us, you still need to ship it, pay duties on it, store it etc. and by time you are done it costs the same as buying domestically. There are no special products in Asia that aren't available here. If you only have 6K to invest be prepared to lose it on shotty craftsmenship.

Here are a list of recognizeable companies who have shut down or struggled in the last year alone. Compare your operating budget to theirs and maybe seek a safer route:

1. Mexx - The one-time Dutch fashion giant Mexx which owned 315 stores worldwide, filed for bankruptcy this year. In a press release, chief creative officer Julia Hansen cited deep discounting in the fashion sector in Canada as part of the reason for the bankruptcy.“The trading business has been challenged by the slowdown in orders and retail sales, particularly in Europe, with the impact of the Russian currency depreciation, the Eastern European political unrest, and by promotional pricing pressure in Canada,” the release said.

2. Forever 21 - The privately owned teen retail giant is still profitable but announced downsizing shuttering unprofitable stores and for the first time in the company's history it is seeking a $150 million loan from outside investors.

3. Quiksilver (Roxy, Mervin Manufacturing) - The Austalian surfwear giant filed for bankruptcy in September of 2015. One reason Quiksilver was pushed to bankruptcy was the west coast port shut down causing all of their shipments to be delayed for months and nothing reaching their customers on time. Quicksilver faced many problems in its accounting, and in its distribution business. Now Oaktree Capital, which also owns Billabong, will take charge by overseeing debt restructuring. Quicksilver listed total debt of $826 million and assets of $337 million in its bankruptcy filing in Wilmington, Delaware. About $500 million in debt would be cut under the proposed restructuring plan.

4. Karmaloop (PLNDR, Kazbah) - Once the largest online retailer, the e-commerce giant founded by Greg Selkoe once did as much as $216.3 million in web sales from its websites Karmaloop, Miss KL, PLNDR, Kazbah and Brick Harbor. Karmaloop filed for bankruptcy in March 2015 listing over $100 million owed to creditors including many small brands that could not survive with payments owed to them by Karmaloop.

5. Kanati Clothing Company (Kanati Co.) - The Canadian company got hit hard in Pakistan and they have stuggled to build a domestic manufacturing plant in Canada and have been set back months by delays. The company's co-founder has been credited with getting things back on track and negotiating a deal with GSG Apparel which took over their manufacturing operations offering relief to the company. The company manufactures for as many as 100 retail store brands as well as having their own international label and retail store chain. It is the largest Native American owned clothing company.

6. Parasuco - The legendary denim brand from Montreal, Canada once dominated the denim industry. Parasuco filed for bankruptcy this year closing all of their Canadian stores and laying off their entire staff except for 70 or so people who will focus now on wholesale only and licensing.

7. RUUM American Kid's Wear - RUUM Kid's Wear which used to be American Eagle's 77Kids line before it was sold and rebranded recently filed for bankruptcy in the United States. In the bankruptcy documents RUUM Kids listed assets of just $109,878 and debt of $65.7 million.

8. American Apparel - American Eagle is the largest apparel manufacturer in the United States. They make almost a million garments every week. They have been plagued with lawsuites, mainly relating to the sexual harrassment allegations against founder and former CEO Dov Charney, who is also now suing AA for ousting him. The company has hinted it does not have enough cash to sustain itself and suppliers are already claiming they are not being paid. Most likely staking their placement early when AA files for bankruptcy.

9. Aeropostle - Aeropostle has reported results for the second quarter of its fiscal 2015. Net sales fell 17% to $326.9 million, and its comparable sales, which include the e-commerce channel, fell by 8% (versus a 13% decrease for the same period a year ago). The company has to call these results rather than earnings — it lost $43.7 million in the quarter, which translates to -$0.55 in earnings per share. The company closed 23 Aeropostale stores during the quarter.

10. American Eagle - American Eagle Outfitters in2014, announced it would be closing 150 stores over the next three years. Profits were reported down 86 percent to $3.9 million for the period ending May 3, according to the Wall Street Journal. Revenue also plunged 5 percent to $646 million and their stock was down 7 percent on Wednesday to $10.54 in keeping with its 26 percent fall this year.

11. Jones New York - Jones NY closed 127 retails stores and abandoned its wholesale operations all together. The brand is now licensed and does not operate its own operations.

12. GAP Inc. - GAP is a global brand. In 2015 it closed 174 stores in North America amid struggling sales and inability to turn a profit. Gap will have a total of 800 stores after this.

13. Macy's - Macy's said it would shut 35-40 underperforming stores, accounting for about 1 percent of the department store operator's sales, as more and more customers shop online. The annual sales volume of the stores, net of sales expected to be retained in nearby stores and online, is expected to be about $300 million, the company said in a statement. The company operates 770 Macy's stores, said store closures would be early next year and that it would announce the locations of the affected stores on a later date.

14. JC Penny - JC Penny closed another 39 stores in 2015, bringing its fleet down to some 1,020 locations and shuttering dozens of stores for the second year in a row. The company is still profitable but has struggled to get people into its stores and making purchases. The new CEO plans to focus on e-commerce. JCPenny has been struggling for the last few years as competition has risen.

15. Abercrombie & Fitch - Abercrombie & Fitch reported another quarter of declining sales, while fellow teen retailer American Eagle’s shares rose on better-than-expected results.The retailer struggled to compete in a highly promotional industry and against fast-fashion competitors like H&M. At Abercrombie, comparable sales fell 10% in the fourth quarter, worse than the Street’s expectations of a 8.7% decline. The company has closed as many as 275 stores since 2010.

16. J. Crew - J.Crew reported a net loss of $426 million in the first 3 months of 2015. Many blame the company's creative director for "alienating its most loyal customers" with its recent styles that have strayed from its classic fashions. J.Crew has closed a number of stores in the last year.

17. Adidias (Adidas Golf/TaylorMade) - Adidas is a company that will never go anywhere and is somewhat too big to fail at this point but the company shuttering an entire division is a huge indicator of the marketplace. People are just not spending what they used to.

Questions

1. Am i need to open LLC? How much cost it will take? - You should not be operating any business where you're accepting money from people and not be a registered business. You need to pay taxes on any sales you bring in.

2. My home(stock) in maryland. If i need to ship an order to other states then am i need other licences except LLC? - No, you only need to be registered where you are doing business from. So if you're in Maryland, that is where your business should be registered.

3. Does any sort of licesing is required for my such little business? Please consider i need to ship orders in different state with my website name. - No, but you will need permission to sell brand name clothing from those brands. If you're selling someone elses branded products without permission, they can come after you. You need permission to sell brand name products unless they are consignment.

4. Is it possible to ship orders to other states without any license? What will be the risk if am not licensed. - You can ship anything anywhere unless it is dangerous goods. You do not need a license to sell clothing across state lines. Anyone, almost anywhere on the planet can buy something from you and you can ship it to them.

A website with enough security and trustwortyness will cost you more than $6000 by itself.

Hope this helps!

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Why don't you try affiliate marketing first before starting your own business. Through that you will gain knowledge on how business online works. And then if you think that you are good at marketing a product online that's the time that you can start your own clothing business.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I think you can check with the local expert as therules get changing. Also compliance is necessary. However we are kurti manufacturerss from india and we make kurtis to suit the needs of western indians/westerners like Jeans kurtis, Bandhej jeans etc. mix of easten and western please contct if interested wholesale available. thanks.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Kitchie your ideas is best for online shopping. I'm agree for your affiliate marketing suggestion.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    My dear friend, I'm not living in USA but running an online store proudly in Bangladesh. So replying you with little experience.
    As you want to run your business all over the USA you at-least need LLC (Limited Liability Company) license other wise you will not be able to ship your order properly. But when you will start your business you will need a lot of help from e-commerce experts. Or I can assure business fall down. To get help for experts visit:
    e-commerce strategies

This will help you to reach your targeted customers. Actually without taking help from other people we can't run our business. Don't think this is a promo I'm just sharing my experience with you.
    Thank you dear.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    It is true that it is hard to get a 1000 dollar loan if you have a bad credit. But it doesn’t mean that you don’t have any options. You may have fewer choices and if there are any available loans, they may charge higher fees.

So i am suggesting a site for thise who want a lone.
    >>>

http://www.jpost.com/PromoContent/Fi...-Credit-455368

The good news is - even if your credit score is “less than perfect”, there is still a chance that you can get one. The key in finding a loan is making a smart choice. The path may be overwhelming, but with thorough planning and discipline, you can get the loan you need and be able to control your finances.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Besides benefits already listed, an LLC is great because it limits owner liability and allows for multiple owners to run the business. This means that if you ever wanted to get a business loan and have not-so-great credit, if another owner has good credit, they can be the guarantor! Which means better rates for you.

For more information, check out our free book. It's packed with advice for small business owners like yourself. Link below:

https://www.businessfundingpro.com/

Share on facebook