1. Collapse Details
    new employee suspected to be a Bad Apple...help!
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post to the group....I've been meaning to join something like this for years, and never got around to it. Now I find I need some advice very badly.

My husband and I own an industrial automation company - we are quite successful for starting it off-the-cuff 9 years ago when he got let go from his position with another company doing the same work. We started hiring a little over a year ago (wow learning curve..), and 3 of those hires have worked out extremely well. Our most recent hire is really starting to worry us.

the issues - we work on VERY expensive hardware at manufacturing plants. These are highly dangerous, highly valuable pieces of equipment, and we carry insane levels of liability insurance because of that. Anyone working for us is required to take a drug test and submit to a background check. One wrong move on site and you can take an entire plant down, costing them thousands of dollars a MINUTE while their plant staff stand idle. Major screw-ups can cost the client millions of dollars in lost production time.

We recently hired someone who seemed really well suited to the position. We have a lot of trouble finding people to employ because it is a unique collection of skills - primarily the combination of computer/programming skills and physical labor much like a mechanic or industrial technician. This person seemed to portray all of the skills we needed, and had a lot of past experience in related industries.

However, after a few weeks working with us, we're noticing some signs of an unstable personality. i.e., - multiple stories about the past that don't add up - internal inconsistencies; a string of stories that seem barely believable one at a time, and when added up seem to portray someone who is always a victim, always being treated unfairly; concerns about prescription drug use (perfectly legal and all understandable) which may be impairing this persons' ability to act responsibly while on site.

now, my questions? heck i don't know where to start. first of all.....i dropped the ball during hiring. Although I had this person sign the papers for the background check and drug test, I never completed them. It wasn't deliberate...i just forgot to follow through. i'm literally SICK now that i may have hired someone on that could damage our company.

but..questions. um.

1. how do we ask this person to "stay home" for the next week or so while we investigate this situation? this person was hired with the understanding that available hours for now are going to be sparse due to the skills needed, the training required, and availability of my husband to do intensive training. That's worked fine so far, and this person has been working part time.

2. What kind of risks are we taking if we try to explain to this person our reasons for letting them go. I'm going to be running the background check today, and i have to figure out how to diplomatically call for a drug test. This person knows it's going to happen, but i'm nervous about asking for it at this late date.

3. how do any of you handle spot drug tests? if you suspect an employee is altered while at work, what is your procedure for requiring them take one. It is part of our employee policy that we can ask at any time, but i have never set up a procedure for it.

4. what services do you use for background checks? I will post a separate thread about this shortly.

anyway, thank you for any advice,

Holly

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Holly, I'm so sorry you are going through this difficult situation with a new employee. I know how upsetting and distracting staffing issues can be when you are trying to run a business. It is almost impossible to grow your business without a group of hard-working, dedicated employees to get the job done.

The best way to resolve your current issue would be to rely on the relationship you have developed with your HR consultant. They can guide you through this, even if you have to fire him, without triggering any legal issues. When it comes to running a small business, professional consultants are your best allies in difficult times.

I wish you the best and hope that going forward you will be able to develop a hiring system that works for your business, so you don't have these stressful situations to deal with.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazmyn View Post
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post to the group....I've been meaning to join something like this for years, and never got around to it. Now I find I need some advice very badly.

My husband and I own an industrial automation company - we are quite successful for starting it off-the-cuff 9 years ago when he got let go from his position with another company doing the same work. We started hiring a little over a year ago (wow learning curve..), and 3 of those hires have worked out extremely well. Our most recent hire is really starting to worry us.

the issues - we work on VERY expensive hardware at manufacturing plants. These are highly dangerous, highly valuable pieces of equipment, and we carry insane levels of liability insurance because of that. Anyone working for us is required to take a drug test and submit to a background check. One wrong move on site and you can take an entire plant down, costing them thousands of dollars a MINUTE while their plant staff stand idle. Major screw-ups can cost the client millions of dollars in lost production time.

We recently hired someone who seemed really well suited to the position. We have a lot of trouble finding people to employ because it is a unique collection of skills - primarily the combination of computer/programming skills and physical labor much like a mechanic or industrial technician. This person seemed to portray all of the skills we needed, and had a lot of past experience in related industries.

However, after a few weeks working with us, we're noticing some signs of an unstable personality. i.e., - multiple stories about the past that don't add up - internal inconsistencies; a string of stories that seem barely believable one at a time, and when added up seem to portray someone who is always a victim, always being treated unfairly; concerns about prescription drug use (perfectly legal and all understandable) which may be impairing this persons' ability to act responsibly while on site.

now, my questions? heck i don't know where to start. first of all.....i dropped the ball during hiring. Although I had this person sign the papers for the background check and drug test, I never completed them. It wasn't deliberate...i just forgot to follow through. i'm literally SICK now that i may have hired someone on that could damage our company.

but..questions. um.

1. how do we ask this person to "stay home" for the next week or so while we investigate this situation? this person was hired with the understanding that available hours for now are going to be sparse due to the skills needed, the training required, and availability of my husband to do intensive training. That's worked fine so far, and this person has been working part time.

2. What kind of risks are we taking if we try to explain to this person our reasons for letting them go. I'm going to be running the background check today, and i have to figure out how to diplomatically call for a drug test. This person knows it's going to happen, but i'm nervous about asking for it at this late date.

3. how do any of you handle spot drug tests? if you suspect an employee is altered while at work, what is your procedure for requiring them take one. It is part of our employee policy that we can ask at any time, but i have never set up a procedure for it.

4. what services do you use for background checks? I will post a separate thread about this shortly.

anyway, thank you for any advice,

Holly
    I would agree with the comment stated earlier. It is very critical you speak with your HR consultant about these issues to make sure you handle the situation correctly. Were you able to get things sorted through?

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Hey Holly,
    First of all you can ask him to do the drug test since he knew it was a requirement when he was starting. Just ask, if he is clean he wonít bother arguing about it. You can also say his training will be on hold while the results come out. If you donít want to be so direct you can just say your husband wonít be available to train him for few days and proceed with the background check first.
    I am starting my own business and looking for help myself so I did research on where to do the background check. Friends who are in the security field suggested this website: background-intel.com and I am extremely happy with it. It is very fast and accurate and as you work in timely manner I believe it will be of great help for you. Wishing you good luck!

Share on facebook