Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    How to Open a Coffee Place
    Hi

I want to open a coffee business but I am confused about the regulations, what I need to know about if I need or not to have restroom, and emergency exit ...And where can I get all the info I need. Also what is best for me do I need to be a corp or LLC. please I need some help
    Thank you and have great day

Joe

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Franchise or not? Either way, the big franchises may have some info for you.

You could also try your local authorities (town, sity, state), or Chamber of Commerce or similar. You might find some contact details in the phone book if you can't find them online.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Your city health department and licensing departments will have all of the answers you need for this type of question - and it differs for every city.

There is also a walk through for a basic business plan on my site - its free, and a coffee shop startup manual on the Traditional Business page - not free.

Best of luck,

Jess Huffman

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Re: How to Open a Coffee Place
    I think your concerns--whether to have a restroom, emergency exit, etc.--are the least of your worries. What about your plan and the business itself? Have you done adequate research? Are you confident of your plan and business model? Will they work, even against stiff competition coming from established folks like Starbucks? Just some things to think about.

-Robert

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Re: How to Open a Coffee Place
    First, what kind of experience do you have?

Obviously, there are regulations regarding food preparation that you will be subject to. I know that here in Houston, you have to have a Manager Certification and a Food Dealer's Permit. You may need to have your construction blueprints

What part of the country are you in?

/* Advice provided is give without guarantee or warrantee and is only based on personal experience. Please follow all road signs and adhere to local laws and regulations. */

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    If you give your local council or authority a call they can send an agent out to the site you had in mind and will give you a list of things that they need to see before allowing you to trade. Things like wheelchair access, toilets perhaps, access to water and the make up of equipment you might need that you haven't thought of.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Do you want to be something like a Starbucks or do you want to sell the beans? Both businesses are very different with regards to regulations so can you please provide us with this information? Both can be very successful if you are in the right area. If you are near a college campus, you can be really successful. If you are near a Starbucks, it's better not to even start.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    This depends in what state that you are opening a coffee shop and whether or not it is a franchise. Emergency exits and a bathroom in any establishment that serves food is usually a must. About the S Corp or LLC question, that depends on a few things too. Here is a great page I found with the benefits of both: http://www.businessknowhow.com/startup/llc-scorp.htm

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpefley View Post
    This depends in what state that you are opening a coffee shop and whether or not it is a franchise. Emergency exits and a bathroom in any establishment that serves food is usually a must. About the S Corp or LLC question, that depends on a few things too. Here is a great page I found with the benefits of both: http://www.businessknowhow.com/startup/llc-scorp.htm
    Great link! Also great website! I didn't know it existed. I have been reading up on some technicalities and this seems to help a lot.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    But there are also the disadvantage of the LLC
    The member who use the LLC are consider as self employed and they must pay the self employment tax.
    When the company is dissolved they must fulfill all remaining legal issue to close the business.

Share on facebook