Thread: Film Project

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Film Project
    Do anyone have any experience in getting funding for film projects. Because I can't approach people with my investment memorandum. I have to know that person I'm approaching or know somebody who know that person.

-Lao

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Film Project
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao
    Because I can't approach people with my investment memorandum. I have to know that person I'm approaching or know somebody who know that person.
    -Lao
    What exactly is this supposed to mean? If you want commercial funding you will need to create a commercial justification, whoever you appraoch.

Otherwise, on what basis do you want the funding?

Maybe it's ideas for your justification you are seeking?

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    The State of Illinois funds film projects, but in Illinois only and you must use an Illinois bank. Private investors will sometimes fund film projects just for status. Also, since films are considered risky, some accountants look for these kind of projects for their clients so their wealthy clients can use the project as a tax write-off. There are ways to get your deal funded, but would need more details to comment effectively.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    SO it can be a tax write-off...

What do you need to know...

BusinessMan, the reason why I can't just approach anybody because the feds will classify it as "solicitation.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    For starters:

How much money is needed for the project?
    Do you have any collateral?
    Do you have a business plan?
    Where are the principals located?
    Do the principals have any of their own money invested?
    What is the film's classification? (family, action, etc.)

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    The one on here I was talking about is already been look at by a investor now.

My next project: The Farm

How much money is needed for the project?
    25 million - 30 million if I have the stars I want

Do you have any collateral?
    Me... no, but if the investor invest in my other project I will invest some of my money from that film.

Do you have a business plan?
    Yes. Also in talks with some stars...

Where are the principals located?
    Memphis

Do the principals have any of their own money invested?
    Not yet

What is the film's classification? (family, action, etc.)
    Horror

and it has a finish script and treatment.

I have more... a 3 million dollar one and a 2 million dollar one

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Visit my website and email me your contact details so we can speak more in depth.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    You will need an angel investor for this type of project. It's very rare that you can find a loan for this although you can always try banks. Why not try some crowd funding site like Kickstarter. Most filmmakers go there to fund their projects.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Kickstarter, Indiegogo and other crowdfunding sites are indeed good places to get funding for film projects, but with your projects in the millions of dollars you would only be able to fund part of any film you made a campaign for in this way. I normally see documentaries and other relatively low-budget film funding campaigns on these sites.

Having said that, you could launch a campaign to pay for a specific aspect of a movie project. For example, a friend of mine recently completed a documentary and put up a crowdfunding campaign to pay for his participation in a big international film festival, including the entrance fee, travel and accommodation for a small team including himself, his editor and the three stars, and various associated costs. The film ended up winning a prize and is being launched right now!

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Ok sorry for pointing out the obvious but.
    You're aiming for a $30 million budget. Now, if you plan on a movie like this then you probably should have quite a few movies already in your pocket. As in done, released, probably made a profit with them too. Or are you really trying to get $30 million for your first serious film? If you have the experience required then I don't see how this internet forum is going to work out better than the professional contacts you've built over the years. (funders of previous films, people you've worked with etc.)

I was going to suggest crowdfunding too but for a budget of $30 million that is not going to happen. It could be useful for those smaller film projects you have.

Share on facebook