Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Daily Grind

Thread: Daily Grind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Daily Grind
    I work from home as a writer in the gambling industry. I've been doing this for about four years or so, and I'm past all of the crap of having to figure out how to get clients and being in demand and whatever. I'm to a point now where I could really have no problem with getting six figures next year if I just put the work in, and that's where I'm having trouble.

I joined this forum to try to find a bit of a support system with like-minded people to help motivate myself and get away from the isolation that working for yourself can create. If I have a problem with some aspect of my work, especially mentally, it's really hard for people with regular jobs to relate because they see me as being "lucky" or whatever that I'm able to work from home, etc.

So I'm going to post in this thread with my thoughts and what I'm going through with this and really try to get some of it out there so that I can get better at putting the work in and staying motivated.

Right now, I'm going to try to put the distractions away and get in a solid hour of writing.

Share on facebook

Your emotions are faster than you are even though they are dumber than you are.

2. Collapse Details
    Well now that I can post.

I've got about three hours right now that I can use to get paid. I'm going to try to pull at least 4,500 words during that time. This is going to be interesting to see if I can stay focused on what I'm doing long enough to make it happen.

Share on facebook

Your emotions are faster than you are even though they are dumber than you are.

3. Collapse Details
    Hello BDP! How are you? I definitely understand what your mean about people not understanding when it comes to a work from home person. As for me, I have worked from home in the past, as an online seller of recycled cellphones. But I stopped a few years back. Now I am back on the grind, but in a completely different niche of selling. Hopefully this will go well for me. Only time will tell, but I will put in the extra 200% effort.

It would be great to keep posting here and stay motivated!

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I am so burnt working from home. I'm going to move next to a beach, then I can just head out and get some sun, maybe swim, something to break up the monotony.

Share on facebook

WebHost.Pro Web Hosting | Add your business for free at BizFaves.com

5. Collapse Details
    I live by the beach, it is a nice view, and nice for walks and occasional dips. Funny thing, I wish I was in a colder environment xD lol.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Have you guys tried coworking spaces in your city? I am now back to working from home for personal reasons, but coworking spaces are not really expensive and give you access to a network of like-minded individuals without having to work for somebody else.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rnhaas View Post
    Hey there,
    I have published three books myself as well as over 3,000 blog posts of various lengths and topics over the last decade or so. I enjoy writing, so I guess this is something that comes easier for me, but I still struggle with discipline, just like anyone else. Here are some things that have worked for me:
    • Writing in a space/room separate from where I do other things
    • Writing on a device with no internet connectivity
    • Using an egg timer to control what I do when I'm writing - while it's ticking I'm not allowed to do anything else
    • Competing with other people in word counts (harder to do in your situation, I am sure)
    • Informing others (not your employer) of your due dates and getting them to bug you (better for longer projects)

Hope at least one of these is helpful.

Riley
    Hello Riley!

Those are very good tips.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Hey buddy,

My name's Brad, I just signed up to the forum.

I totally get what the issue is here and I know from my own experience how difficult it can be to keep yourself motivated.

I consider myself pretty lucky to be honest, I live in Cali and so break my days up by heading to the beach to refresh my mind. These are my own personal suggestions for you, maybe you can find something useful in these:

1. Create a workspace that is dedicated to YOU and your work. This really helped me when I was started out, I created a space dedicated to myself and...BAM...my level of productivity increased. No more days sitting staring out to space and checking football news.

2. Work with a buddy- this may sound like a bad idea but it can actually work. Pair up with a buddy of yours in a similar situation and work together. Your mindsets will motivate each other and hell you may even inspire each other

3. Reward Yourself- whatever it is: a beer, a long talk by the surf or even simply nothing. If you reward yourself after some hard work, your levels of motivation will stay higher for longer and you will find it easier to work.

Hope this helps.

-Brad

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I work from home as a writer in the gambling industry. I've been doing this for about four years or so, and I'm past all of the crap of having to figure out how to get clients and being in demand and whatever. I'm to a point now where I could really have no problem with getting six figures next year if I just put the work in, and that's where I'm having trouble.

I joined this forum to try to find a bit of a support system with like-minded people to help motivate myself and get away from the isolation that working for yourself can create. If I have a problem with some aspect of my work, especially mentally, it's really hard for people with regular jobs to relate because they see me as being "lucky" or whatever that I'm able to work from home, etc.

So I'm going to post in this thread with my thoughts and what I'm going through with this and really try to get some of it out there so that I can get better at putting the work in and staying motivated.

Right now, I'm going to try to put the distractions away and get in a solid hour of writing.
    and is there any more way for that?

Share on facebook

Leo Privacy Guard v3.0, The number 1 privacy app in the US right now!

10. Collapse Details
    The daily grind should be part of your routine. If you take this into consideration, then, you will be successful. - Green Water Technologies

Share on facebook