Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Listing Business Names
    I am starting up a city guide and will be reviewing clubs, bars and resturaunts. I wanted to know if I can list there website and information along with a review of my observations without getting into trouble.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Listing Business Names
    If you create the list and basic data yourself there should be no problem (assuming it isn't a copy of something that already exists).

Regarding your 'observations' this depends entirely on what they are and how you express them.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Re: Listing Business Names
    I want to just provide the public with information on where they are located and what their website and contact info is. So many times I hear of places but cant find them anywhere on the web.

The review would be constructive not bashing at all. Just more detailed information from the perspective of a person trying to find a place to bring friends/family without having to guess whether its going to break their bank, how to dress, where to park.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I dont see any problems. Most businesses would be actually happy to have the exposure until they start getting bad reviews.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Reviewing things like this are completely protected by the First Amendment, but make sure you don't write anything libelous. Not everyone is going to be happy with the things you write, so be sure to study up on what you can and cannot do, and write things that are true or opinion.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I don't think that you got a problem if you also mention the reviews of the listing website. Trusted and original reviews are attract the visitors.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Of course, there should not be any problem. Unless of course you become successful and then some bad day, one of those business houses whom you wrote against file up a defamation suite against you. So as a safeguard, do consult the legal sides - these vary from country to country and DO put up a disclaimer on your website stating that the reviews are your personal opinion and you are not going to be responsible for the benefits or the ills these might bring to other businesses.

My experience is that people normally dont bother much about these reviews but then, the world is not just the good people. some are bad and can get real bad when time is against you.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    The information is public, so there should be not issue creating such a guide. Regarding reviews, you have to be a bit more careful on what you say. As long as it is kept factual, there should be no legal issues opining on their goods/services.

Share on facebook

"The business of America is business."—Calvin Coolidge

9. Collapse Details
    Agree with all other members saying that it should not be a major problem start putting together a clubs, bars and restaurants guide as long as you are not going to plagiarize already existing content, whether from other existing reviews or descriptions that those sites are using on their printed or online literature.

While it is possible making use of their official descriptions or slogans, it is always a good ideas request a written permission or digital-signed form allowing you to do such a thing, particularly if your guide becomes a successful information tool for people in your city.

Not sure what your ultimate goal it is always a good option sell advertising, which guarantees that the business listed in your guide will not complain, unless you do a nasty review about them. If a restaurant pays you to get listed, the less the owner expects is a positive review on your side.

However, even if you are not targeting to business owners to pay for listings, honest reviews are always appreciated but diplomacy, tact and common sense are your best tools to handle negative comments you could cite if there is a business that does not meet people expectations or what the business is offering.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by midynamics View Post
    I dont see any problems. Most businesses would be actually happy to have the exposure until they start getting bad reviews.
    Yes you are right not so much problems are arriving and they exposures their business, its name, information about the website.

Share on facebook