Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Creating a great brand (& domain!)
    Hi everyone!
    I'd like to share my process for creating a brand and domain name.

I'll use, as an example, a compan that does interactive media and software development. The company really wants to convey 1) that they come from a bottom-line (business) focused approach and 2) that their major drive was to help companies take more value from their existing data (using data visualization, data mining, etc).

I start off with with three main tools:
    --multiple word lists from various disciplines (Finance, Physics, even Slang!)
    --a very fast and easy domain search
    --a place to check how many other people are using some variant of ideas I get.
    I use the a site called Brandfetch.com because it has all of these in a fast "Web 2.0" interface.

So, starting off, I'd look for technology words:

Media, Logic, Binary, Interactive, Virtual, Quantatative, Data, Technology, Design.

But how do I convey the business side? One way is, obviously, to meld in business words:

Digital Assets, Internomics (I didn't say they were all good at this point, we're brainstorming!), Diginomics, Business Informatics, Virtual Assets, Information Assets, Information Capital.

Another way is to imply "more than a software company": Beyond Binary, Fusion Design Lab, MetaMedia.

I also wanted to convey this data visualization idea though. So I start looking for "clarity" ideas, coupled with technology:

MetaphoricMedia, SymbolicLogicMedia, Apercu Interactive (apercu means "insight"), DigitalApercu, Quantitative Illustration, Data Graphics

And a few "mesh words": Quantray, Elucidata, Epilogic.

I know this seems like a lot of work, but it's not too bad if you are working with the right tools.
    The important thing is that you have many, many words at your disposal, and a fast way to check the availability of your ideas as you are brainstorming.

Good luck!
    Chris

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    This is really good advice. I'm just starting up a blog and this will be incredibly helpful. Good job!

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I realize this is an old thread, but it is well worth the "bump". I love seeing how others went through the creative process to come up with their business name.

Back before the internet, finding a unique business name was much easier because you had to worry only about your local market. It was just a natter of opening up the yellowpages and checking that the name was not already in use. Now, you have to ensure your preferred name is not being used worldwide, and that a suitable domain name is also available.

There are many free online services for finding a domain name to help get the creative juices flowing if your preferred domain is already in use. One example is http://www.panabee.com/

One tip that I learned the hard way - Make sure you consult others about your domain name before you register the domain and put your site online. I was so focused on what I wanted the name to look like, that I completely overlooked the fact that it also spelled something else with a few letters added to the end. As an example ASTRALTO can be read both as ast-RALTO and ASTRAL-to. I could only see the former, while others immediately saw the latter.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Very good tips, cvhackel! And also the tip of AliceT is something everyone show pay A LOT of attention to. I've seen enough site names that look like they're something horribly wrong but are just company names that are terrible when strung together. The biggest known example of this is the website www.kidsexchange.com which was once owned by a company named Kids Exchange.
    This is really something to avoid because it can really damage your business.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    One tip that I learned the hard way - Make sure you consult others about your domain name before you register the domain and put your site online. I was so focused on what I wanted the name to look like, that I completely overlooked the fact that it also spelled something else with a few letters added to the end. As an example ASTRALTO can be read both as ast-RALTO and ASTRAL-to. I could only see the former, while others immediately saw the latter.
    Your domain name can be a huge factor in finding collaboration. People are attracted to the sound of the name. Definitely consult with a variety of people. Great advice!

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I agree that it is important to look at your domain name and potentially get tips from other people. I've even seen some cases where the domain names were downright embarrassing when everyone else looked at them, but the "hidden" message that was quite clear wasn't clear at all to the website owner, if you know what I mean.

I really do like these tips. Even though this is an old post, it definitely seems to be well worth it to take a look!

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Given today's scenario, I would add - Make the site responsive to the great advice you have @Chris.

Today, many users use their iPhones, tablets and even smartphones to access the Internet. Making your site responsive enables easier viewing on such different sized displays. So I think, making a website responsive adds to building your brand.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I love hearing how someone came to choose a certain domain name. Personally I like choosing the main keyword in my niche and then adding a word that isn't super popular, but is known inside the niche.

Share on facebook

I make decent money on Cash Crate and pay for a number of things using gift cards I get on InstaGC. Feel free to check out my work online blog.

9. Collapse Details
    I always learn something new on this forum whenever I visit it. Today I have learn a lot about creating a brand. The mentioned tips are great and any one can do this only if you have patience and follow the steps.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    JUST DO IT! Without real action, your business is just wishful thinking. May your new business bring happiness, enthusiasm, and new hope for you and your family. Indonesia needs entrepreneurs, start a business starting from filling your mind with true and positive knowledge. Find friends, mentors, or business people who have started earlier than you. You can learn from their failures and successes.

Share on facebook