Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Using the News Media for Advertising
    Media: Friend or Foe? Itís your decision
    By Shawn Piatek
    Piatek Consulting

Rousing from your slumber to start another day in building your business empire, you pick up your local paper and begin leafing through the pages to find the picture of a familiar face - itís your chief competitor, smiling most likely because he or she realizes the photo and accompanying story is a valuable piece of advertising that canít be purchased.

Later that day, you turn on the local news and see another familiar face - another competitor being grilled by a reporter over reported improprieties linked to his or her business. Thereís no smiles in this picture.

So what is it? Is the media a friend or foe to your business?

The reaction of all too many business owners is to avoid the media entirely for fear of being portrayed in a negative light. If they donít know about you, they canít make you and your business a public spectacle.

But if thereís something my decade-plus of working in the media has taught me, if youíre doing something wrong, the media is going to find you.
    If your operation is on the up-and-up, what have you to fear? Actually, what you have to fear the most is missed opportunities at free advertising ranging into the thousands of dollars in value.

The media can be a friend - a very good friend. But itís up to you, the business owner, to make the media work in your favor.

The pitch

As a business writer, I am pitched dozens of stories every day. I receive them by phone, fax and e-mail. Some catch my attention, others donít.
    So what is the most effective method. Well, actually, they all yield about the same results, but a different tact is needed for each.

But the pitch, in general, should remain the same. A successful pitch will tell me, very succinctly, who, what, where and when and will give me an indication as to why my readers will care. That last part - why readers or viewers will care - is the most important part.

Relaying the significance of your pitch will require some thought and imagination.

Think about what makes your business special. Are you involved in some charitable campaign? Is your business offering unique or cutting edge products or services in your area? Does your personal story have an interesting hook? What about your businessí growth?

Here are some examples of some great ďhooksĒ the recently caught my attention:

- A couple opened this regionís first eBay storefront.
    - A man who started his welding business 20 years ago in a garage with his father is now employing 800 people.
    - A new home nursing agency experience such strong growth that it went from five employees to 40 in three months.
    - A local man patented a new commercial vehicle breaking device that, pending DOT approval, will be placed on one companyís fleet of more than 500 trucks with other orders pending.

None of these people are any different than you. But they recognized the newsworthy aspect of what they do and sold their ďhookĒ to the media. The result was thousands of dollars in free advertising that you simply cannot buy.

Making the pitch

The first step I always suggest is find out who your target should be with the media outlet you will approach. Generally speaking, newsrooms are broken into ďbeatsĒ with each reporter covering a unique sector. Identify who your story would most appeal to and target that individual with your pitch.

For many business owners, the logical reporter to target would be the business beat writer. But that isnít always the case or the person who will be most receptive.

Try contacting a general newsroom phone number, explain who you are and why you are calling, and ask who the best person to speak with might be. If they offer to transfer you, ask for that reporterís extension and say you will call back later. This will give you a chance to refine your pitch instead of making it on the fly.

How to make the pitch can be tricky. When I present workshops to new entrepreneurs, I always tell them to ďFEPĒ their pitch. What I mean is, Fax, E-mail, Phone.

We have all these wonderful forms of communication available to us, use them all. Send a fax, send an e-mail and follow up with a phone call.
    In marketing, we talk frequently about ďtop-of-mind recognition.Ē This theory works, too, with gaining a reporterís attention.

Making the pitch itself is where the real preparation comes into play. Spend time writing down your thoughts (which will comprise your press release to be faxed and e-mailed) about what information is most important for you to relay. Send the press release first so the reporter can have it in hand when you call.

Make note cards with a talking point or two on each one and have them in hand when you make the phone call. Some people can become very nervous when speaking to a member of the media. Iím not sure why that is - weíre people just like everyone else - but I have experienced it hundreds of times.

Open the actual conversation with a nicety - donít just launch into the pitch. If you can humanize the conversation, the reporter is more likely to be receptive to what you have to say.

But be prepared to launch into the pitch soon there after. Newsrooms are a busy place and reporters generally have a few story ideas already waiting for their attention.

The first few seconds of the conversation should quickly relay the who, what, where and when as well as indicate why my readers or viewers will be interested. This is the person you must convince because each reporter - generally speaking - decides what is newsworthy and what is not.

Be prepared to go further with the story. If you catch a reporter on a slow news day, he or she may decide they want your story for the next dayís paper or the eveningís news.

Also be prepared to be rejected. Remember, reporters receive dozens of pitches every day and they only have so much time or space at their disposal.

Whatever you do, donít allow one, two or 15 failed attempts dissuade you from trying again. Go back to the drawing board, refine your hook and give it another shot after a month or two has passed. It will all be well worth the effort when your competitor grimaces at seeing your smiling face in the morning paper.

Shawn Piatek is president of Piatek Consulting

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    In my experience, it's not hard to find local newspapers, online news sites or local radio stations that would be pleased to interview people with interesting stories about building or running a business, non-profit or other organization. Prepare some interesting talking points and send them an email with some good photos attached, or simply call and introduce yourself, and you might be surprised to find that at least one or two of your local business reporters will bite. If you're reasonably well known in the community already, you might also be able to attract a lifestyle reporter to do a more relaxed profile on you for a weekend edition of your local paper, or a magazine.

Many reporters would actually be pleased to hear from a local entrepreneur with a story to tell - it could save them the hassle of going out and finding the material!

This is all good publicity for you, and it's free too!

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Hi Mr. Spiatek, I have a few questions.

How do you deal with media trying to put your business in a negative spotlight? Not saying I'm in this position but it could happen anytime.
    Is it best to get in contact with a media source specific to your kind of business or can you use any type of media?

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Along with media there are many social network sites that are available for the business marketing. Social networking sites like facebook, twitter, linked in play a very viatal role in advertising the business.

Share on facebook

Alison Agar

5. Collapse Details
    As i Know local media is easy to find and social media sites like Twitter,Facebook,My space are also very effective to advertise your business.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    https://tuichanel.com/tin-tuc/tui-ch...ung-hap-dan-14

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Hi,

Nowadays Social media channels emerge the new online advertising for the entire world. So, if you want to promote your small business you can choose Social media advertising it helps you to reach your business to a potential audience.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I prefer to use Social Media for this purpose. Various Social Media platform plays a huge role in making your brand popular. Besides social media, promotional giveaways are another medium to make people aware of your brand.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    In general, advertising is a way of promoting your products or services and it can be done across the platforms. If we look at the media industry, advertising is their main source of revenue. Be it print media or electronic media, they run on their ad revenue. Hence, advertising is very important for the media industry.

With digital, media houses themselves have started spending a lot on advertising. Hence, be it internal or external, advertising plays an important role in the media industry.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    In general, advertising is a way of promoting your products or services and it can be done across the platforms. If we look at the media industry, advertising is their main source of revenue. Be it print media or electronic media, they run on their ad revenue. Hence, advertising is very important for the media industry.

With digital, media houses themselves have started spending a lot on advertising. Hence, be it internal or external, advertising plays an important role in the media industry.

Share on facebook