Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Individual or Company?
    Hey all. I'm wanting to start up a small web design/development business, and there has been one question bugging me.

I'm not sure whether to operate from behind a company (Oven Roast designs), or to operate as a freelance individual and just operate as me (Geoffrey Garbers, etc.)

Any help at all is really appreciated. Thanks!

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I think both options are good, but you will just have to think about what kind of image you want to send to the world about you and your business. The good thing about using the company name is that it provides a sense of stability and reliability (plus Oven Roast Designs is a catchy name) but as an individual you will not be recognized as your personal work, but under the umbrella work of the company name. I believe it can be possible to present yourself as both freelance and a "company man". In representing yourself on a website, business card, advertisement, you can include both your name (a more personal touch) and your company (memorable and credible). My father has started a video editing business a few years ago, and although he does the work himself as a freelancer, has attached himself to the name of the company name he came up with. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I go with operating as a company, it gives you more presence, and provides confidence to your customers. However, as SmartPea says, if you want credits for your personal work, you'll need to use your name. I'd compare the expected benefits, not only in the present, but in the medium/large future, before taking a decision.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Like people already said, both are valid options with their own up and downsides.
    I would personally test the waters as a freelance and see where that gets you. If there is a lot of interest, start a business.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I used to work as a freelance software developer.
    Although I was all by myself, I did use a company name, which looked somehow more professional.
    It was especially useful in attracting larger projects.
    However, I didn't only hold the name of the company, I acted as if I was a good working one and delivered better and quicker results than my clients expected and got the bonuses coming in.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Start off under your own name, and once you build clients, and get regular business than you should register your site as a business. It'll save you some startup costs that you could use towards developing your site.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Being a company does increase the image of legitimacy, however, it also increases costs. Being a freelancer would be quite hard to get clients, especially while starting up, but if you're really good at your work and you're able to beat out millions of competition, then it's a good thing.

One good thing about doing designs as a company is that your earning opportunities can be larger, however, people see freelancers as more affordable workers, so freelancers earn lesser. However, the quantity of clients isn't bad if you have a lot of them, so many small charges for designs can amount to big numbers eventually.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    It depends upon you. You could choose what's best for you.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    I vote for building a company because you can earn more trust from your potential customers

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    I think both way to good. if you want credits for your personal work, you will need to use your name otherwise you will need a company name.

Share on facebook