Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Time Management-An essential factor for home based worker!
    Time Management is a key ingredient to be a successful home based worker.Home based worker performs two fold functions.
    A.Duty towards his family and friends.
    B.Execution of company's work on time.
    So,to complete above two tasks a home based worker can not be successful until and unless time management is properly applied.
    The following are the some basic principles by which you can attain your desired goal.
    1.Planning is a key factor to time management.But,Planning schedule is such that it is achievable otherwise frustration and anger will accrue.
    2.Divide total working hours into blocks and assign the work in the alloted blocks and if there is any disparity between time available in block and volume of work find out immediately its remedy.
    3.Be disciplined to complete the works on time.It means do not overestimate the magnitude of work.Always try to complete the works in a alloted time and this will enhance your prestige and responsibility towards company,family and friends.
    4.Every big projects has its own schedule.The big project is divided in many parts.Now plan for execution of every part.If there is delay for completion of any part inform the company's boss and fix a new time table for delivering the completed works.Complete the work as per renewed agreement with the company.If it is required to employ some persons to complete the work adapting new time schedule do not hesitate to do this otherwise it may difficult for you to bag the next contract from the same company.In any case,do not compromise with the quality of jobs.
    5.Divide the works of top priority and moderate one.Top priority works should be completed first because it brings more challenge,more money and more opportunity.Those works shold be completed by you or direct control by making proper vigilance and employing efficient worker.
    6.Special care and planning should be imposed at the time of agreement with company.Always keep parity with the volume of works and required work force available to complete the jobs.

Utilising the above procedures, you can easily achieve the target to the responsibility both towards your family,friends and company's work order.It will help you avoid stress which is required for maintaining good health.

With best regards,

Julio Saltos

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Time Management-An essential factor for home based worke
    I can certainly testify to time management boing massively important to home workers... it's something I battled with for the first couple of years.

2 piences of advice I would give. Firstly get a copy of "Eat that frog" by Brian Tracy - best thing I ever read on the subject.

Having said that the system I now use is so simple, and so effective, everything else seems superflous...

Before you go to bed write a list of everything that needs doing tomorrow
    Order the list by importance
    Next morning start at the beginning and work through...
    Don't stop until finished!

I know that might seem like stating the obvious but it really does help me, hopefully it might help someone else!

Bill

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I second reading "Eat that Frog" - I remember it talks about doing the big, difficult jobs first, then everything else seems easy.

Also, if you can figure out how to manage your time well, you can become incredibly productive, and make a lot more money. Making a list of all the things you need to do tomorrow is a great, but simple, strategy that I try to follow myself. You can put your tasks into different categories too for maximum clarity - such as personal tasks, marketing and promotion tasks, communication tasks, writing tasks, etc.

Also, if you allocate strict timeframes to each task, then set a timer and work through each task, then stop once the bell rings, if not already completed. You'll soon learn how long to give yourself for each type of task. For example, you might give yourself an hour to write a blog post, not a whole morning. Given that the time taken to complete a task tends to expand to fill the time you allow yourself, restricting the time means you will naturally finish it more quickly! Try it and watch how many tasks you can get done in a day!

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I have such a hard time with this. My schedule is so unpredictable. I have 5 kids, all at home, ages 18 months to 16, and it is a mad house. I wish that I could have a dedicated work schedule and not just try to fit it in when I can. I feel like my earning potential is far above what my actual income is right now. Thank you for the tips! I am going to to try to incorporate at least some of them.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I am starting my new online business and I must say it is very difficult to make time for it. I have a job in the medical field that causes me to work a crazy schedule and I also have three kids. Two of them I am home schooling them. I still find time to get online for at least 2 hours everyday. I have no time when I am at work since I am the go to person for almost everything. I am also the person that get the blame for everything that goes wrong. I need to make time to do something better. Time is money. It is important to use my time wisely even when handling my business. I am not make much of a profit. I will be trying to focus on one thing at a time and finishing what I started. I keep moving on to other things that I did not plan on doing. I will never finish anything like that even if I am working for 2 hours everyday.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I agree mostly with what the OP said. Time management can be a huge problem when you work at home. For a lot of people there are too many distractions. The key is setting up guidelines. Your family has to know that even though you are working at home, you are still working. They can't come in and interrupt you all the time or you'll never get anything done. It takes a lot of personal responsibility to stick with it. It's easier to slack off and end up getting behind.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Like any other business, unless you dedicate enough time to building it, it will collapse in the first year. Home based businesses have their own share of advantages and disadvantages also. Most disadvantages come in because a person feels relaxed as there is no boss to monitor what you are doing. Essentially you will be wasting a lot of time that can bring in more clients which translates to more money.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    my biggest problem is under estimating my work schedule and rushing to get it all done, if i could just conquer that i would be in pretty good hands

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelouis View Post
    Like any other business, unless you dedicate enough time to building it, it will collapse in the first year. Home based businesses have their own share of advantages and disadvantages also. Most disadvantages come in because a person feels relaxed as there is no boss to monitor what you are doing. Essentially you will be wasting a lot of time that can bring in more clients which translates to more money.
    I completely agree. Even though I worked from home, I had my sister (also my partner) to help me give that little push. I think my business would have fallen if it wasn't for my sister. I tend to get distracted a lot and I find that unless you set up a specific time for you to work, you will not get anything done in a productive manner.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    You're absolutely right. You have to balance both or you'll have either of them suffer for lack of time management.

Share on facebook